Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Halloween 2011

We had a fun Halloween this year.  The kids didn't have school so aside from running to the store for a few things, we spent the day at home with them playing and me attempting (key word) to get some things done....

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've kind of gotten on a kick of trying to make somewhat festive or fun things to eat for dinner or dessert on each holiday.  For this year's Halloween dinner, I went crazy with Jell-O.  A while back I got a Jell-O brain mold and with it came instructions for various brains as well as other recipes to use for the holiday.  I ended up making a cherry & evaporated milk brain that turned out a really lovely blood red and layered squares in orange and root beer.  How'd I make root beer Jell-O you ask?  There's a new flavor out there called "Mixcheif" to which you add your own soda for flavor.  Two words: DON'T BOTHER.  The box calls for using either part water and part soda or all soda for the liquids.  I chose the latter hoping to get really good flavor and even with that, it was sub-par to say the least.  Never again.  At least the brain turned out tasty enough (the kids thought it was hysterical to talk about how much they like eating brains) and the orange layered squares were downright yummy.


After our early dinner and a bit of prep time, we headed out the door to beg candy off neighbors and friends.  This year Hudson was a nerd/brainiac/fashion-challenged boy and Claire was a kitty.  Both were happy with their costumes.  I couldn't help but giggle at Hudson and Claire was just downright cute.  I tried to make Miles a real skunk this year with white stripes but he shook the spray off the second I finished then darted through the dog door, thereby wiping off much of what was left after his shake-off.  After pictures on the porch, we had fun doing a loop around our neighborhood and one just north of us and then headed down the hill to see the grandparents nearby.  The weather was absolutely perfect for trick-or-treating this year - in the 60's! - which made it even better than years past.


Both kids came home with way too much candy and both were and have continued to be surprisingly good about sharing some with their parents.  It sure is nice to be in my 30's and benefiting from trick-or-treating without dressing up or going door to door with a bag in my hand!

1 comment:

Emily said...

That brain jello is disgusting but awesome! I think I need to find a mold like that for next year :)