Saturday, March 30, 2013

Think Deeply

So much for my grand intentions of knocking a few posts out this week.  I'm down to the wire now (assuming that we're counting on a Sunday to Saturday calendar here, I've still got over 30 minutes until the week is over) so here I am sneaking in the post I promised earlier this week.
 
We've had a rather large amount of snow this year and my kids regularly tromped through it at school, at home, and in Hudson's case, on the way home from the bus stop.  One day at the end of January he walked in the door after his trek down the hill in the snow pretty much drenched from head to toe.  I asked him what happened and he proceeded to tell me a story about how he fell in a big snow bank right after getting off the bus.  Then, rather than walk on the plowed street or on shoveled sidewalks, he did the logical thing and made his way home primarily by way of other snow banks, snow-covered front yards, and piles of snow.
 
Before stripping off the wet & freezing layers of clothing, Hudson handed me his backpack (which was open) and his math workbook.  The book was every bit as wet as he was.  I asked him if the book fell out of his backpack and he replied that it hadn't - he had simply held onto it on the bus ride and all through his escapade on the way home.  When he realized what had happened he said, "I guess I should have thought first."  Yeah.
 
Being an awesome mom (it happens on occasion), I took his math workbook and cover to cover and page by page, I wiped out the water and snow that were throughout it.  Yes, there was actual snow in between some of the pages.  After getting rid of any excess moisture by blotting each page with paper towels, I then pulled out the ironing board, turned my iron on steam-free, and set to work. Never, in all my imagining of what my life as a mom would be like did I ever think I'd have to iron a math workbook.  It was glorious fun. All 100 or so pages of it.  I called my sister and we had a good laugh as I relayed the story to her and then laughed even harder when I saw what was printed at the top of almost every page:


THINK DEEPLY

Indeed.

No comments: