Tonight Hudson had his first experience with losing someone (or something) that he really loved. It was either late 2008 or early 2009 when I took him to Petco and we got a small plastic "tank" and two goldfish - Frank and Indiana Jones. They grew to be too big for their little home a while back and we recently moved Hudson's little pets into a bigger, happier home. While we were at it, we got them a few companions - a cleaner catfish named Kitty, another goldfish named Luke, and an African Frog named Freddie. They were all one big happy family.
Over the past few days, Indiana started to look a little under the weather. He took to hanging out at the bottom of the tank or floating partway on his side at the top. He'd perk up every now and then but this morning, it was apparent that he was on his last leg...errrr, fin. By dinnertime tonight, he was stuck against the filter with insufficient strength to swim away from the flow. Max and I talked about it and decided that it was time to put Indiana out of his misery. As soon as Hudson understood what was going on, his eyes welled up and he buried his face in Max's chest and cried. I quietly took Indiana out of the tank and took care of business while Max consoled our grieving boy. I had explained to Hudson some time ago that fish (especially goldfish) don't always last very long and that it was O.K. if they died. He seemed to be alright with this but there obviously wasn't a way to prevent his becoming attached to his fine-finned-friends and it hurt to see him hurting tonight. I know that Indiana Jones was just a fish and while we didn't cry, it was an emotional thing for us to see Hudson's reaction tonight.
4 comments:
Hudson is so sweet and tender, I just love that little guy.
Poor Indiana! He was always a good fish. This is just one of the reasons I love Hudson!
Ahhh, Max is such a sweetheart. I love how every living thing is so important to our little ones!
RIP Indy!
Sorry about Indy.
I was watching the real Indiana Jones with Jake when he was little and he said to me, "I love Indy." So, of course, I said, "I love Indy too". After a pause, Jake said, "Why do you love Indy". Duh.
Post a Comment