Both Max and I started out just doing a regular carved pumpkin - mine freehand and Max's from a template he found online. After that, I didn't want to stop so for the 1st time, I gave "shaving" a pumpkin a shot. All I did was our last name on one of the two ginormous pumpkins we got at the pumpkin patch but even without hollowing/cleaning it, the process was somewhat tedious and quite time consuming. I was really happy with the results, though, and I'm thinking that I'll go more extensive in my shaving/carving next year. In addition to the one with our name on it, I also hollowed and shaved a small white pumpkin. You can see in the picture that the area around the ghost is very thin). Max shaved a cat and a leaf on two other pumpkins. In the end, we had a total of 8 carved and/or shaved pumpkins (obviously not all pictured). And just like everyone else, we lit the candles and took pictures of our finished pumpkins...

Our pumpkin family (l-r): Max, Claire, yours truly, Miles, and Hudson. And yes, Hudson's pumpkin has a uni-brow. It started out with two normal brows and then he asked me to make them "attached" and was thrilled with the result. Still cracks me up.

Our favorite trick-or-treaters and the best skunk ever.
All in all, we had a great Halloween (or Halloween Eve...). My only complaint is that shortly after the kids went to bed, the doorbell rang. It was 9:15. We had been home for a good 45 minutes and hadn't seen a single trick-or-treater that entire time. I opened the front door and before they could shout out the traditional Halloween greeting, I quietly informed the visitors that our kids were asleep. They apologized, quietly took some candy, thanked me, and then headed to the next house. They're very lucky that my foot didn't meet their behinds on their way down the walk. Now, is it just me, or is 9:15 too late to be letting one's kids out to beg for candy? Please humor me and take the poll on the upper right corner...I'm curious as to whether I'm being lame or not.
Hope you all had a very Happy Halloween!
3 comments:
No, you are not being lame- I think 9 is too late to be out trick or treating at any age. But at least the kids seemed polite about it. Cute kids, and I love that you included your sweet little lab in the festivities!
Your pumpkins really are awesome! Very creative with making Miles a skunk...he does smell sometimes. I think 9 is the latest kids should be out. And you are right, we did have the cutest lady bugs!
Cute costumes! I love the halloween skunk! I'm glad you had a fun Halloween! We had around 300trick-or-treaters (I wouldn't believe it unless I actually witnessed it) but our doorbell never rang once after 8:45.
Post a Comment