Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's Still Winter

It was a day off for everyone at our house this past Monday. In spite of super warm temperatures just days ago and while a lot of areas south of us hardly saw a thing, we got a good 10-12 inches of snow last Saturday and Sunday night and that made for a great opportunity to play in the white stuff on Monday morning.

At first the kids were bummed that the snow was too powdery for building a snowman but quickly got over those concerns once they were out playing. They both enjoyed several turns on the sled on our back "hill" (perfect little sledding bunny hill), a couple of snowball fights, and just had fun traipsing around the yard.


I've never been a huge fan of the cold winters here. I hate that there's limited outside time with the freezing temps and what eventually becomes dirty/yucky snow (haven't been skiing in years thanks to my knees). However, now that I've been here for 13 winters, I think I mightly possibly be ever so slowly warming up to the idea of frosty white winters. There's just something about playing outside with my kids on fresh snow days and seeing how happy it makes them that gives me a boost and helps me through these months.

Who knows...maybe one of these years I'll actually buy a pair of snow pants.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

If there is one thing I learned in MT was in order to survive the winter doldrums, it's best to get out in the snow and enjoy it. Buy the proper gear for whatever activity, e.g. regular snowpants DO NOT work for cross-coutnry skiing (very easy on the knees, by the by). Come, Suz, come to the snowy side!

Erin said...

I LOVE Claire's hat. You do have a great little hill for sledding.

jon and callie said...

Buy snowpants- and you'll be completely converted!

Erin said...

I've got to hand it to you Suzie. I have a new respect for mamas that live in the snow. We took a trip to Mammoth recently and while it was AWESOME, it was quite an ordeal to get the kiddos in snow gear every time we left the house. :) Btw, love the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzie! I found your blog and I love it! Your kids are so cute. I remember when we visited you way way back (6 years ago?) that you had a window sill of beautiful spring bulbs, do you still do that? I would love to learn how to create something like that for spring, please share your expertise!
Take care,
Jennie Bennion