Monday, June 6, 2011

Out With The Broken & In With The New

What's wrong with this picture?


a) dirty spots on the wall that won't wash off
b) whoever painted didn't get the bottom of the pipes
c) no washing machine
d) all of the above

A couple of weeks ago I was doing my favorite chore of laundry when the washing machine started making horrendous noises.  I checked it out and found that the agitator wasn't working.  Very agitating.  We had a repairman come out to diagnose the problem and ours jaws just about hit the floor when he said that the transmission was shot and that it would cost $577 + change to fix it. OUCH!  We didn't hesitate for a milli-second...no repair needed.  We'd be buying a new washer.

After an evening of research, I set out the next day to find a new washer.  After stops at four different stores, mission accomplished.  I was initially 99% sold on one at Lowe's but at my final stop, I found a slightly better machine on sale for $50 less.  Making the deal even sweeter were the facts that they were waiving sales tax if you used your store account (which we already had) and we could pick up the washer that afternoon instead of waiting a day or more for delivery.  In the end, I got a better washer and saved over $100 compared to the one at Lowe's.  The final cost was less than $13.00 more than the cost to repair the old one.

When Max got home that afternoon he took our broken washer away in his dad's truck and came home with a shiny new washer (which I managed to scratch the front of within 48 hours) to take its place.


I love, love, LOVE my new washer.  I'm sure that no one wants to read all the details about it so I'll just say this: bigger capacity + high efficiency ($$$ saver) + cleaner clothes = one happy chick.

Oh - and we musn't forget the very best part of getting a new appliance...the box!


It's been three weeks since I got my new toy and the kids are still using the box.  They play house in it.  Hudson plays his DS in it.  Claire takes her animals inside.  It's the perfect toy.  As usual, the adult is excited about what came in the box and the kids just want to play with the packaging!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Tyler loves that box too! We should have let you use ours for the summer instead of buying a new one. Glad you are happy doing your laundry now!