We decided to keep Christmas Eve low-key and easy around here this year. It was lovely. We didn't really go anywhere, see anyone, etc. I wish I had done this post right after Christmas because, well, much of that day has escaped my space cadet memory.
I did make sugar cookies and frosting that day and the kids and I had fun decorating them. I have a tendency to be a wee meticulous when it comes to decorating my cookies and while I know that they're far from perfect, I can't stand to just slop the frosting on, throw a few sprinkles at it and call it good. My kids, on the other hand, have not yet learned the whole concept of keeping things neat as you work and trying to keep some sort of balance in decorating. Frosting and sprinkles were EVERYWHERE. I must have cleaned sprinkles off the island 4 or 5 times during the decorating process and I know I had to re-vacuum the floor under their work area a couple of times that day after we were done. It really was a fun (and really super tasty) activity, though, and when we were done, each child had a plate filled with his/her own cookies and there were 2 or 3 large plates with the ones that I decorated.
As is tradition around here, the we each got to open a gift on Christmas Eve. The kids got Christmas pajamas and Max and I both got new slippers.
After reading the story of Christ's birth from the Bible, it was off to bed for the kiddies and the real work began for us adults. We wrapped the last couple of presents, got everything moved from hiding places to under the Christmas tree, set up stockings, made Danish Almond Puff for the next day's breakfast and then collapsed into bed. I commented to Max that night that as much fun as Christmas is for the kids and for me, it's absolutely exhausting as a parent!

No comments:
Post a Comment