Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Merry Christmas...

And a happy leap year to all!

Why do I keep doing this to myself?  I have had more than ample time and plenty of opportunities to sit down and post over the past several weeks.  I spent a good week and a half or so being sick and pretty much doing nothing during that time and I could have written then.  I also fell prey to addiction to Scramble with Friends and Words with Friends on my iPad (okay - and on my iPhone).  Oh - and we can't leave Sudoku on said devices off the list.  Really...I could have left the couch.

Anyway, here we go, back in time yet again...

Just like our Christmas Eve, our Christmas Day was quite laid back and downright wonderful.  Rather than getting into more than all the lengthy nitty-gritty of the whole day like I usually do, I'll just give a quick list of our day and the schedule as it happened to pan out:
  • Up and at 'em by a little after 7:00 to get ready for church to start at 9:00.  No presents or anything before church (even thought both kids peeked).
  • Arrived at church at 8:30 to find the entire chapel and overflow already filled.  We "lucked out" and ended up in the 1st row of folding chairs in the cultural hall.
  • Enjoyed a wonderful church meeting which included a solo of Away In A Manger by my hubby, Max, and a talk from President Eyring (in our ward...special treat!).
  • Max rushed home and got "a few things" done while I delayed at the church with the kids.
  • Got home, changed out of our church clothes and settled into the living room for gift opening.
  • Opened stocking stuffers.
  • Opened gifts from under the tree.
  • Even gave old Miles a couple of toys, including a red and green gorilla with velcro hands that we secured around his neck.  It drove him crazy.
  • Spent the afternoon lounging around and having fun with our presents while eating Danish Almond Puff, goodies from stockings, fruit, etc.
  • I set up a semi-formal table in the dining room for our dinner.
  • Had a tasty dinner of slow-cooked beef short ribs with mashed potatoes and gravy and one of our favorite drink combos: grape juice with ginger ale (mixed together).  We did eat more than meat and potatoes but those were the stars and after two months, the rest of the meal has escaped my mind.  Maybe a green salad?  Some sort of fruit?  I don't know.
  • Most likely had dessert (again - my thighs may recall what I made but I don't) and then called it a night.
Visual proof that we celebrated Christmas:


I'm grateful to have my own little family to celebrate each holiday with and just as I am every year, I'm grateful for the Christmas season when I get to spend extra special time with them.  More than anything, though, I am thankful that I have the opportunity to reflect upon and teach my children about the Savior Jesus Christ and His birth.  We are truly blessed!

No comments: