Most nights, when hubby and I head to bed, we go upstairs to find our normally warm main floor and bedroom fairly cool thanks to the evening cool down allowing our AC to do its job. Last night we were surprised to notice that at 1:00 a.m. (night owls!) it was still unusually warm when we went up. I checked the thermostat and it was showing that it was still 78 degrees up there in spite of the lower nighttime temperature setting. After a bit of turning things on and off, we discovered that the house fan wasn't working....and without the house fan running, the AC unit won't run. Thankfully it was a bit cooler outside than in so we threw open a bunch of windows and with the help of the fans we keep running in the house during the summer, we were able to cool things down by a few degrees by this morning.
This morning I called our plumber/AC/heat guy and he said that the fan definitely needs to be replaced and that it's possible that in the process of that going out, our AC unit may have gotten damaged and may need replacing as well. It's pricey to replace the fan ($) but nowhere near as expensive as replacing the whole AC system in addition ($$$$). Oh - and we have a Lennox system...one of the more expensive ones out there. Yippee!! We are crossing our fingers and praying that it's only the house fan that needs help.
Unfortunately our man can't come until tomorrow morning. That means the upstairs/main floor is going to get good and toasty today. The kids and I are currently hiding downstairs in the basement where they're watching Phineas & Ferb and I've been doing things like researching warranty on our furnace/AC (we're out of luck), reading the news, blogging, and organizing my office a bit. I'm going to avoid the upstairs like the plague as afternoon comes. I guess we'll be grilling our dinner tonight - 'cause there's no way I'm turning on anything that will create more heat upstairs!
No comments:
Post a Comment