Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Anne Was Here!: DMV

This doesn't have much to do with my sister, really, other than she was in town when this happened.  That and to say that she is incredibly wonderful and saved the day by watching my kids a couple of mornings after her arrival so that I could go to the DMV to get my license renewed.  Oh happy, joyous day!  Due to 9-11 and identity theft, Homeland Security is requiring that from 2010-2015 anyone renewing their license is required to pay a visit to the lovely Department of Motor Vehicles where said persons are required to provide the following:
  • a ridiculously long renewal application
  • original Social Security Card
  • original (or state certified copy) of birth certificate
  • two legit forms of proof of residency (Actually only required if you've moved since you last renewed but do they tell you that beforehand? Nooooooo...they tell you after you get all your stuff together and bring it in.)
  • fear and dread that the process will not go smoothly - think about failing your vision test or something like that for days before...check!
As was suggested by the renewal notice that I received, I went online and set up an appointment so that my wait wouldn't be as long.  I called the DMV after making the appointment and was advised that I should still expect to hang out at the office for a solid 45-90 minutes.  Super cool...I was pumped to think of spending a good chunk of my morning there!


I was totally surprised to walk in that morning and find ZERO people waiting in line for license renewal.  I walked right up and gave the nice guy (and he really was nice!) the loads of paperwork that I brought with me.  He then took my picture, gave me a receipt with a number and told me to go sit in the waiting area and...get this...I'd be the next person called up.  What?!  He wasn't lying, either.  While I did have to wait about 10 minutes, my number was indeed the next one called and up to the next counter I went.

The lady who helped me finish everything up was even nicer than the first guy.  She was actually downright happy and friendly.  She told me that this whole crazy process is a one time thing and that made me like her even more.  She asked me a few questions, tested my vision (I got 100% right without my glasses on...kind of surprised because my left eye is rather lousy), and took my $25 payment.  Then she printed out my temporary license and sent me on my way.

As I left, I saw that the line for renewal was now 6 or 7 people long...glad I had my appointment set for the time I did!

When all was said and done, I spent less than 20 minutes at the DMV that morning and that includes the time it took me to park, go in and do my business and pull out of the parking lot at the end.  Awesome!  But not awesome enough to have a desire to go there ever again.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I just got my license in the mail! I'm glad you had friendly people, minimal wait time, and years before you have to do it again!