Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rewind: New Years Eve 2012

Most years we stay home on New Years Eve and party like nothing you've ever seen.  Some years we have maybe one other family over and enjoy a bit of food, bed before midnight for the kids, maybe some games or a movie, and a quiet, "Woo-hoo...Happy New Years." when the clock strikes twelve (because the kids are asleep).  Very thrilling indeed.

This year we headed to my the home of my oldest brother and his family to join them and my wee baby brother and his family for the big night.  It was fairly low key overall and we had a great time.

Food is key to my family's gatherings and I must say that the food was awesome.  We all provided snackies and appetizers for the spread...baked brie, shrimp with cocktail sauce, fruit, cream cheese with jalapeno red pepper jelly, veggies and dip, hot artichoke dip, candy/cookies/dessert, etc.  If anyone left hungry then either a) there was something seriously wrong with them or b) they didn't get to the kitchen before the rest of us inhaled all the tasty vittles.  I think I gained 10 pounds that night.

The kids spent much of the night downstairs playing and watching a movie (or movies) while we adults were upstairs watching a movie, chatting, and playing poker (using Horse-opoly money).  My one sister-in-law was pregnant at the time and that got the three men talking about the babies that they carry in their tummies.  We all had a good laugh as they stood and compared the abdomens that they obviously so tenderly care for and nurture (Matt's stance and face are my favorite...I laugh every time I see the picture).


I am so glad that we all got together that night...nothing like family and laughter to make one's heart happy.

No comments: