This winter...HA, HA, HA! No, I'm serious. We got a boatload of snow (actually even more than that) this winter. We had a very lame, brown, ugly, and un-wintry winter in 2011/2012 so the 2012/2013 moisture was a welcome change. During one particular storm system in January, we got a solid 3 feet of snow up here in just a couple of days. After the biggest portion of it came down, we went out and had some good, freezing fun playing. Actually, Max and the kids played...I stood on the sidelines and took pictures.
After playing around in the snow out back for a good, long time, we headed out front where Max and Hudson were going to start working on a snow fort in the massive snow bank/drift between us and our neighbor's place. They made some progress but their work was interrupted by an unexpected discovery: when our driveway is slightly covered in snow or iced over, it makes a fantastic - albeit short - sledding hill. We usually keep the walkways and drive pretty clear but the cold temperatures that day made it almost impossible to everything clear of ice. The kids took turns going down the drive and loved that the sled would uncontrollably twist and spin around. I don't know how often we'll have those perfect conditions but you can bet that when we do, our kids will be out front sliding down the driveway!
Speaking of winter storms, we had a crazy one back in January or February. It was the perfect mix of freezing temperatures, snow, and rain and it was a real doozy to say the least. We had freezing rain and the roads (and sidewalks and driveways and...) were all slick with a thin sheet of ice. Driving was pretty scary and downright treacherous in some places. I was worried about having my kids take the bus that morning and drove them to school. My drive started with sliding backwards down the driveway into a snow bank and ended with my car sliding down into our circle with pretty much zero control of steering or stopping. Yikes! I'm glad it only lasted a day.
More to come this month, I swear. I'm knocking out a few posts and getting them scheduled for every few days.


No comments:
Post a Comment