Let's start with Christmas Eve...
In keeping with tradition on my side of the family, we had homemade clam chowder and sourdough bread (store bought) for dinner that night. I tried a new recipe that I found online - very clammy but oh-so-delish! Our entire dinner table discussion that night was about the soup and the changes we're going to make next time I decide to whip up a batch.
After dinner, we spent some time playing with the kids and then Max conveniently herded them into the kitchen for dessert (the greatest sugar cookie cut-outs in the world from one of Max's sisters) while I brought out our Christmas Eve gifts. When we were done with dessert, we headed into the living room and subtly told the kids to check out what was on the chairs/sofa.
Hudson immediately knew which gifts was his and was at a loss for words when he saw the black lab stuffed animal sitting next to his present. He stuttered over and over as he told me how excited he was, that he couldn't believe I got it for him, etc. and then came and gave me a big hug. The cause for all the excitement has a little story behind it...while my sister was in town, we were at a favorite little store in town one day when he found this black lab. He asked me to buy it for him and upon my responding in the negative, he threw a lovely fit. While he was busy trying to convince the world that I am the worst mom ever, I quietly passed it off to my sister to purchase it once we were out of the store. I more or less dragged him out to the sidewalk and then took a good tongue-lashing out there as well. He's lucky I didn't have my wooden paddle in hand (just kidding!). I was, however, half tempted to go and tell my sister "nevermind". But I knew that it would be a huge deal to him to get it for Christmas. In the end, I'm so glad I went the route I did...his reaction on Christmas Eve made putting up with his massive tantrum in public worth it.
Claire, by the way, chose her dark red super-wide-wale corduroy teddy bear at another favorite shopping haunt in the city over that same weekend. For those of you who might be interested, the bear is made by Jellycat. All of their animals are super soft and cuddly...the best link I could find for buying them is here (for the fun corduroy style I got, type in keywords "cordy roy").
Below is a pic of my kiddies on Christmas Eve. All decked out in matching pajamas (Claire declared, "I a princess!" when I got her dressed) with their beloved new stuffed animals. Do note the fashionable non-oufit-matching Crocs that my daughter decided to wear instead of her slippers.
After reading the story of Jesus Christ's birth from the Bible and singing a few Christmas carols, we sent the kids off to bed so that Santa could come and do his thing. Surprisingly enough, Hudson fell asleep about 2 seconds before his head hit the pillow. Claire, on the other hand, decided to buck the system and took nearly an hour to call it quits. Little squirt. But I made the most of that time and...
Went to work on another tradition from my side as soon as we put her in bed...the 1st time. This tradition is our Christmas morning treat...the beloved and most delicious Danish Almond Puff. It takes a good while to put together and then bakes for an hour. But it's all so very worth it. Why? The key ingredient in this recipe is butter and the other main flavor comes from almond extract. Anyone going to say that there is ANYTHING wrong with that? I was going to take a picture of them (a single batch makes two beauteous pastries) but it was late when I finished making/frosting it. And strangely enough, when morning came, I was much more focused on eating it than getting its picture taken.
Anywhooo...once the kids were officially out, we wrapped a few last-minute items, Max hauled all the loot up from the hiding place in the basement, and we got everything arranged in the living room. Then we closed the French doors and called it good.
Next up, Christmas day in the morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment