1. Hudson got his stitches out last Monday.
He was fairly nervous about it and after I explained the process to him (including the fact that wiggling around or freaking out would not be helpful), he asked if he could squeeze my hand while they were removed. I told him that was the perfect thing to do. After his very friendly nurse gave him a quick briefing and showed him the instruments she'd be using, she started to reach for his forehead and he said, "Oh, Mom!" and grabbed my hand. She went to clip the first suture and he gave my hand a very tight squeeze. That grasp immediately eased up when he realized it didn't hurt one bit. He continued to hold my hand but happily counted the remaining three "snips" with the nurse. He was a little nervous again when it was time to pull them out but smiled all the way through, counting once again. When it was all done, he started laughing and talked about how he didn't feel it and that it wasn't bad at all. Much, much better than the tears he cried when the whole ordeal started a week before! We stopped at McDonald's on the way home and picked up a celebratory vanilla cone for Hudson's reward (and he got a lollipop and sticker when we left InstaCare...lucky kid!). His scar looked pretty good that day and it was obvious that it was healing nicely.
2. Claire started her 1st session of Level 1 Preschool swimming lessons.
A couple of weeks ago, Claire and I finished up a Parent & Tot swimming class together and at the end of the session, our teacher said that even though she wasn't officially old enough (and still isn't), that Claire was ready to be bumped up to the next level of swimming. We contacted the head of aquatics at the rec center and got approval for Claire to begin normal lessons this time around. After a week off over spring break, Claire was SO excited to be getting back in the pool. She talked about it every day and on the way to her 1st lesson. We were thrilled to have found out that she would be the only child in her class (private lessons at the group price - awesome!) and figured that she'd be jumping in the water at first chance. Guess what? We were wrong...
Upon seeing that her instructor was a guy, Claire completely froze up and started crying. Her teacher, Mitch, is rather intimidating at a good 6'3" and probably 300 lb. but sweet as can be. In spite of coaxing by both Max and I, she refused to get in the water. We finally convinced her to get in with Hudson and while she was okay being in the pool with him, anytime the instructor got within a few feet of her or touched her, the tears started flowing again. I'd say that she spent about 2/3 of the time out of the water and about 3/4 of the time sobbing uncontrollably. In the end, she got in with both Mitch and a girl named Liz (Hudson had her last year and LOVED her) but would cling to or scoot next to Liz anytime Mitch tried to inch closer. I felt SO bad for him and totally embarrassed by her shenanigans but everyone was so nice about it, saying that they're used to little kids crying, especially at the beginning of each session. On the other hand, Hudson had ZERO problem getting back into the swing of things. He has two instructors who co-teach a class of 5 kids and one of the teachers is Mitch. And to think that Hudson is totally okay with him. Weird.
3. This isn't a big monumental event but...we went to the zoo with 2 of my sisters-in-law and our little kiddies this week. I wouldn't mention it but I got some cute pictures and therefore, it is worthy of being in this post.

4. We got crackin' on yard work this weekend.
And between the yard work and the zoo, I got going on my annual "pink tan". We did our spring clean up in the front yard on Friday afternoon and spent a good part of Saturday sprucing up the backyard. We weeded and raked gardens/beds, pulled up thousands of maple saplings/sprouts, and got a number of plants in the ground and/or pots. Unfortunately my brain wasn't entirely functioning when we started the process...before and after pictures would have been great. And now it's late enough at night that getting "after" pictures isn't an option. I'll post some pics of the yard in the next few weeks after a few more things come up and out of the ground (like my tulips...can't wait!).
3 comments:
My tulips are all gone, but I too got a pink tan this weekend as I sealed the driveway. Darn camera didn't jump in and take pictures of that very well either.
Time for me to plant annuals.
Enjoy your bulbs. They are the prettiest flowers.
I'm sorry we didn't get to to the train and such. It is my fault. I'm glad to hear that Claire is liking the attention from two swim teachers now!
Sounds like you've been good and busy! Aren't those cones at the zoo amazing? We had some on our last visit.
Post a Comment