Two weekends ago, I packed up the kiddies and drove up to Brigham City for its annual Peach Days celebration. I'd never been before but one of my sisters-in-law's mom is from there and it's been a tradition for their family since time began. They go up every year and make a day of it. So we tagged along for the fun this year (minus the parade...too much crazy even for me), heading up around lunch time.
We got our vittles at the ultra-packed outdoor food court. And the food wasn't just about peaches. Burgers and dogs, Navajo tacos, peach cobbler and peach/fruit pies, Japanese food, a variety of cold drinks and smoothies, fried Coke (what?), fried Twinkies, spiced nuts, scones, etc. I seriously can't remember everything that was there. All I know is I got a salad for me, pizza for the kids, and an amazing peach cobbler to share.
After lunch we wandered around the vendor/craft booths and then took the kids and got going on the real stuff: rides. They started out on this fun little "train"...metal barrels made into cars pulled by a darling older man on a 4-wheeler (with a rainbow umbrella hat to keep the sun off his face). Smiles all around on that ride. After that, Hudson got to enjoy a few trips down an enormous inflatable slide before we headed to the main carnival where we squeezed a whopping 3 rides into 90+ minutes. The kids went on a little caterpillar roller coaster and a UFO ride and then Hudson and I went on the ferris wheel. Claire fell asleep just before we got to the front of the line so she stayed on solid ground with my sister-in-law's mom and my baby niece while we rode. At the end of the day, we all went to Maddox restaurant/steak house for a relaxing sit-down dinner...always a welcome thing after a day on one's feet.

I'm really glad that the kids and I went up for the festival. But next time I go, I'm going to remember a few things:
1. Get more than 1 peach cobbler and try to get one that has more peaches than cobbler.
2. Bring sunscreen...I was a LOBSTER when the day was over. Thankfully I realized my forgetfulness soon enough to cover the kids who in turn mostly avoided getting burned.
3. It may be bigger and heavier but take the good camera!
4. Pack a few easy snacks for the kids so that I don't have to spend a month's pay on food.
5. Dose the kids with a good sedative before going to dinner. They somehow ended up MORE wired at dinner after a long afternoon in the sun. I'm kidding about the sedative. I promise. But I really was ready to pull my hair out by the time dinner was over.
2 comments:
Sorry about dinner being crazy and about your sunburn. The rest of the day was really fun!
Dinner wasn't crazy...it was my own kids! Besides, I enjoyed it anyway. It was a very fun day indeed!
Post a Comment