I know you've all been checking my blog on an hourly basis waiting for this recipe. So here you go...
ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES
2 cans beef broth + water to make 3 cups total liquid
1 tsp. each:
- salt
- ground black pepper
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- onion salt or powder
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian salad dressing mix
1 (5 lb.) chuck or rump roast
Combine beef broth, water, and all spices (including dressing mix) in a saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil. Place roast in slow cooker and boiling dressing mixture over the meat. Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. When finished, remove and discard bay leaf. Shred the meat with two forks, discarding any large pieces or ribbons of fat. Serve on toasted french or sourdough rolls with juice from the meat on the side for dipping.
NOTES:
- Without exception, I ALWAYS use Campbell's Beef Broth. It's double-strength and there really is a difference in flavor.
- I use Good Seasons' Italian Dressing mix...you can find it near the ranch dressing packets at the store.
- To toast the rolls, I split them in half and toss them directly on the rack in a 350 degree oven for a good 5-10 minutes. This allows the whole roll to get toasted and crunchy on the outside rather than just the top (as would happen if you broiled it).
- My favorite way to dress up my sandwich: Put mayo on both sides. Pile the meat on one half and top with a slice or two of provolone cheese (my kids like it with cheddar). Throw back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Top with iceberg lettuce (and tomato if I'm in the mood). Yum.
I would have pictures to post on this one but every time I make it, I'm too preoccupied with eating to think about getting the camera out...
Hope you like it as much as we do!
2 comments:
suzie! this sounds so delicious--i've been perusing all of your recipes and i can't wait to try them out! also, i love the mantle. fall is my favorite! xoxo
Made this for dinner tonight-it was DELICIOUS!! We all loved it. I've probably tried a dozen new dinner recipes over the past few weeks and this one is the winner!
Thanks for sharing...
Post a Comment