Major rewind again...back in the middle of March, we threw a surprise party for hubby's dad for his 70th birthday. He thought that he and my mother-in-law were coming up for a nice quiet evening at our place where he was going to help Max with some electrical matter in the living room and then have dinner with us. WRONG. Instead he arrived to find 40+ people at our house to celebrate his recent 70th birthday. And he was completely surprised...the look on his face was priceless.
While a few were stragglers at the end, we had a total of 45 people here for a picture DVD presentation of the birthday boy's life, memories/thoughts shared by each of his 6 children, dinner, and dessert. Now, let us take a moment and allow me to toot my own horn on the dinner deal... In an attempt to save money, we were looking at all kinds of options for the main course. After mulling over everything, I put my foot down in the end and said that we were going to order fried chicken from the grocery store down the hill. And that was that. Both hubby and my mother-in-law were a wee hesitant and skeptical but EVERYONE loved the chicken. Just like I knew they would. We ordered enough for about 50 people and had one single piece leftover at the end of the night. We had the chicken, a whipped Jell-O/Cool Whip salad, green salad, and fruit. Dessert was Costco cake and ice cream and a very special sugar free cake for the diabetic man of the hour (made by me that afternoon - the frosting/decoration was finished as people were arriving).

As far as we're concerned, it was a smashing success and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. That being said, I have to say: I love my father-in-law and I love my mother-in-law. I love my dad and mom, too. But as well as the party went, I'm not throwing another party of that size or of that much work for any them (or anyone else for that matter) anytime soon. I'm still recovering.
No comments:
Post a Comment