Friday, September 2, 2011

Hudson's 1st Day of School

On August 22nd, Hudson started 2nd grade!  On the first days of Kindergarten and 1st grade, I followed the bus down the hill (can't not take the bus now, can we?) and then escorted him to class, making sure that he was settled in before leaving him in the teacher's hands.  He never had any issue with my leaving him there or going to school at all - just wanted a bit of a security blanket at the start of the day.

This year was different.  He expressed a little bit of nervousness about starting school again so we went down to the school a week before class was back in session to make sure he knew where his classroom was (and we happened to bump into his teacher while we were there).   That was all he needed to really be prepared.  When the big day came, he wanted me to walk him to the bus stop as always but that was it.  He wanted to go to school on his own, find his room on his own, and get settled in on his own.  My little boy isn't so little anymore and is growing up faster than I realize at times.  I was a little surprised but not saddened or worried by any means...perhaps actually relieved.  Relieved that he's not one of those kids that goes into class crying on the first day of school (or every day...we've known a couple of those), relieved that he's building up his self esteem and confidence, and relieved that  I wouldn't have to find a parking space on the craziest take-your-kid-to-school-day of the year.

Anyway...

Here's our 2nd grader, backpack fully loaded with all the school supplies I could shove in there without making him tip over backwards.  Doesn't that center picture make him look SO grown up?  He looks too big and old to be a 7 year old!


Well, that boy of mine came home completely thrilled with how his first day of 2nd grade went.  While all 4 of his closest friends were put in the class across the hall, he is glad to play with all of them during their three recesses each day and easily made new friends in his class during the first few days.  In addition to the social aspect of school, he loves his teacher, he loves having school lunch once a week, he loves learning...he just loves school!  I think it's going to be a good year - so long as his mom can survive the homework!

3 comments:

Erin said...

It's been fun to be here in the family since just before he was born. He is grown up! It is a great sign that he loves school so much!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's 7 and in second grade! He's getting so big so fast! I'm glad he's growing up so well though! Reflects on the AMAZING parents he has! :)

VK said...

Such a handsome lad!
You'll handle 2nd grade well, I'm sure, just wait till geometry in 9th grade again, and we'll test your skills.