Monday, October 31, 2011

Easy Spanish/Salsa Rice

We have Mexican food for dinner at least 3-4 times a month around here.  Whether I make fajitas, soft or hard tacos, or my girlfriend's blond enchiladas, I positively love having Spanish rice with said meals.  I once made a fairly time-consuming but super delicious recipe of the stuff from scratch (thanks for sharing, C!) but considering my usual dinner time constraints (i.e. I often don't decide what we're having until an hour before), I decided to try and find something simpler.  I know that a lot of people out there probably have this exact recipe or something very similar but I figured I'd share it anyway.  I found  it on one of my favorite recipe sites:

EASY SALSA RICE

3/4 c. water
3/4 c. salsa (preferrably chunky...not super watery/liquidy)
1 c. uncooked instant rice

Combine water and salsa in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat, stir in rice, and cover.  Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.  Stir and serve.

NOTES:
  • I really love making this with medium (or hotter) salsa and then I get the kick I want without actually putting salsa in my fajita or taco.
  • The ingredient amounts above are actually for a 1/2 recipe - perfect for 3-4 people.  If making a full batch, use 1 1/2 cups each water and salsa and 2 cups rice.



I seriously just LOVE this rice.  It's SO easy to make and can be thrown together in just a few minutes right before serving.  My favorite ways to eat it are in fajitas/tacos, on the side with enchiladas (some with each bite), and as a base with cheese, avocado, cilantro, tomato, etc. on top to each with tortilla chips.

No comments: