A little bit ago we were breezing through the American Idol finale (love TiVo...and our favorite won!) when I suddenly felt super hungry. I ignored the feeling. Now I'm sitting at my computer getting a few things done and I'm having a harder time dismissing my stomach as it gurgles and begs me to feed it something. It's usually not an issue for me but tonight the hunger is different...my tummy is begging for vegetables. What the?! Late night cravings usually hit me when watching cooking shows and are supposed to be reserved for things such as the following:
- Dove chocolate, Guittard milk chocolate maxi chips or PB M&M's
- bean and cheese burritos
- ice cream (perhaps vanilla layered with peanut butter...with Magic Shell on top?)
- freshly popped popcorn with melted butter and Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- a New York steak - grilled medium/medium rare - possibly with a nice caramelized onion & blue cheese sauce on the side (this is yet to be available at our house late at night...strange)
- salsa rice with sharp cheddar cheese melted on top - to be eaten with tortilla chips
- some sort of high calorie baked treat that I may or may not have hidden from my family in the freezer
Apparently my insides didn't get the memo on these things. Even as I typed the above list, it still whined for something green. The thought of eating a different - aka normal - late night snack did precisely NOTHING for me. I want an enormous mixed greens salad (with gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbled on top, sunflower seeds, sprouts, chopped hard boiled egg, cucumber slices, maybe some dried cherries or cranberries, chopped or sliced beets, shaved carrots, peas...). Or maybe a caprese salad with fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar. Roasted brussel sprouts also sound really tasty as does a huge bowl of sauteed fresh vegetables like zucchini, carrots, red onion and grape tomatoes. I'm actually salivating as I think about these options. Now, I know that Team Veggies definitely beats Team Evil Food in terms of nutritional benefits and lack of weight gain. But seriously. Who craves healthy food late at night? Something is wrong with me.
And no, I'm not pregnant.
No comments:
Post a Comment