Monday, June 25, 2012

RECIPE: Dill Dip

I haven't shared any recipes on here in a super long time so I thought I'd get back into the sometimes-habit by providing y'all with what you need to know to make this:


It's an incredibly delicious cold dip for vegetables.  I love it with carrots, raw zucchini, celery, bell peppers (yellow, orange or red),  jicama, cauliflower...basically, it's good with just about any veggie.  My mom got the recipe from a friend many years ago and it's always been a favorite in our family.  Except, that is, for my hubby and my weirdy little brother as neither cares much for dill.  That's akin to not liking cheese, chocolate, ranch dressing, etc.  It kind of makes me wonder if I should care much for them.

DILL DIP

3/4 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sour cream
2 tsp. dill weed (or more)
2 Tbsp. fresh green onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped

Have your ingredients ready?  Here's the hard part: Stir all ingredients together, mixing well.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.

Wow.  I'm exhausted.

TIPS/NOTES:
  • Please use real, full-strength mayonnaise.  Either Best Foods or Hellman's is acceptable.  All others are impostors.  One of my great rules in the kitchen is as follows: Reduced fat, low fat, or nonfat mayonnaise - regardless of brand or price - is not really mayonnaise at all and if you use it in place of mayonnaise you will be banned from my kitchen henceforth and forever more.  Notice that I used the word "mayonnaise" three times.  I mean business.
  • Now that we've guaranteed calories and fat with the real deal in the mayo department, let's talk sour cream.  My new favorite is Tillamook.  In this recipe and all others I use their nonfat or reduced fat sour cream and it tastes every bit as good.
  • A handy trick for parsley: after stripping the leaves off the stem, put them in a shatter or scratch proof cup and go to town with some kitchen scissors.  A few seconds of snipping won't do the trick...really go to town for a good minute or two and you'll be happy with your finely diced/chopped results.
  • I usually make this dip several hours before I plan on using it and sometimes the night before.  As with many recipes, the longer it sits and the flavors meld, the better it'll be!
I'll try to come up with another recipe to share in the next week or two.  Gotta keep working on reaching my blog post goal for the year! 

No comments: