WARNING for those of you who have issues with even mild injuries/x-rays, bruising (I think bruises are awesome, by the way) and/or feet (I'm thinking of you, HTP): There are pictures of my x-rays and my beautiful bruised toe and foot below. You may want to shield your eyes.
Moving on....
My hunch/instinct about my toe was right. I broke my poor little 5th metatarsal right at the base of the toe. Lame!!! After an uncomfortable night and humming and hawing about getting things checked out, I finally went to the doctor late Tuesday morning. When the tech was reviewing the first two of three films, I heard her say, "Ouch!" quite loudly from the back room. I asked her if she was okay and she responded that she was fine, she was just looking at the pictures of my toe. Awesome.
The nice doctor came in and saw me once he'd seen my films and we chatted for a few minutes. He really was a nice, good, honest guy and whispered that he could buddy-tape the toe for me but that the clinic would charge something like $120 for it and suggested that if I was comfortable doing it myself, that I should do so. No question there!! Before I left, a medical assistant came in and gave me a lovely black shoe with a sturdy sole and Velcro straps...just like the one that has been collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet for a few years. Compared to the flip-flops I had on when I walked in (even my loosest, comfiest shoes hurt like crazy), it actually felt quite nice to cruise around in.
X-rays of the toe along with bruising that night. The bruising got way worse but I didn't get a good pic before it started to go down again. Also - I have since painted my toenails so my foot looks a tiny bit normal.
On the wise advice of my hubby, I went to see my podiatrist on Wednesday. I asked all kinds of questions about activity level/usage of the foot, when I can try normal shoes, etc. I wasn't too happy to hear that the first two weeks are the most crucial for healing and that I need to take it easy. Ha, ha, ha!! I know it's logical but it still bugs). I have to go back in about a month to have new x-rays taken and hopefully at that point, I can stop wearing my crazy wicked-awesome strappy shoe...if it doesn't hurt.
Since my doctor's appointment, I've tried to take it easy and since the doc okayed it, I've kind of let pain be my guide. I've definitely overdone it a couple of times in the past few days (like when I cleaned bathrooms, did laundry, and went out to a movie and dinner yesterday) but I've really tried to make sure that I sit back and put the foot up for longer than 10 minutes at least a few times a day. And I'm counting sitting here at the computer and not moving it as rest time as well. I have to because otherwise I'd go nuts. I can't just sit around, read, and eat chocolate all day. Well, I'm sure I could manage somehow - especially if it was dark chocolate marzipan from Mrs. Cavanaugh's - but I'm not wired that way.
In the meantime, my mom was apparently insanely jealous of all the attention that I've gotten with my broken toe so on Friday morning, she up and rolled her ankle and broke her 5th metatarsal. Her break is on one of the longer bones up closer to the ankle so it's considered a broken foot. Lucky lady gets to wear a back Velcro boot that goes up to her knee. And she has a cane. I am not envious. We're going to see each other later this week and you can bet we'll be taking some pictures of our darling footwear and spending lots of time sitting around. At least we both did this to our left feet so we can still drive. I think between the two of us, we might be able to function as 1, maybe 1 1/2 adults.
More posts coming throughout this week. And I'm not bluffing (for once)...I've already knocked out 3 posts and scheduled them!

No comments:
Post a Comment