This afternoon Hudson and I worked on rearranging his room. We sorted, cleaned, put away, threw-out, moved, and generally took care of business with everything in there. When the bulk of the work was done, I sent him off to play and started to take care of a few bigger tasks that I decided to do on my own (i.e. making up his bunk bed which happens to be my all-time least favorite household chore. I'd rather scrub the toilets or mop the kitchen...I curse whoever invented bunk beds with railings).
I can't recall exactly what I was doing, but after running something to the kitchen, I walked back into the room and while apparently not paying attention to where I was stepping, I jammed my left pinky toe into Hudson's big, sturdy book basket. I heard a crack but I don't know if it was the basket or my toe. Either way, it felt less than marvelous and I quickly grabbed the railing on the bunk bed and stood there trying to decide whether I felt like swearing or crying. I did neither and instead took my sweet time soaking up the pain and rather un-fondly remembering when I broke that same toe about 3 1/2 years ago... Just before Christmas. Spiral fracture. Huge black boot. 10 weeks before normal shoes didn't hurt. Ugh.
Dinner had just arrived when this happened (pizza night...too hot to turn on the ovens or stove and too hot to make hubby grill out back) so I took it easy with my foot resting on a pillow while we ate and watched MIB 3 with the kiddies downstairs. Will Smith, by the way, is positively hilarious...I can't stop laughing when he's doing his thing. Anywho - hubby did his best to keep me from being on my foot too much and was kind enough to bring me pain killers and get me another slice of pizza. I have a hard time being waited on but it sure felt better to be off it than hobbling around like a total gimp.
Tonight the toe has definitely swelled up a bit and it's starting to turn a lovely shade of light purple at the base and around the side. The pain isn't nearly as bad as it was when I first love-tapped the book basket but I don't know if that is because I've stayed off it much of the night, if the painkillers are doing their job, or if it's because it's not broken and is already getting better. I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that this is nothing more than a bad jam or sprain. We'll see how the pain is tomorrow. I really don't want a broken toe and I really don't want to wear that super stylish boot for several weeks again. It'd make everyone jealous and I hate making others feel less beautiful just because I look so incredibly awesome with my bulky Velcro-strapped footwear.
Please don't be broken.
1 comment:
I'm sorry it's broken. Perhaps I should injure my foot so I can be waited on for a while! Just kidding.
Post a Comment