Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tillamook Everyday Macaroni & Cheese

Back when the weather was hotter and I didn't want anything to do with a stove or oven, I made homemade macaroni and cheese one day.  This involved both my stove and my oven.  Fabulous.  But heating up my kitchen was entirely worth it because this stuff was quite tasty!  Helping increase the tasty factor was the fact that the recipe was from Tillamook, almighty creator of amazing cheese and ice cream (and other stuff, too, but those are most important around here).  I found the recipe in my beloved Sunset magazine some time ago and having always been a fan of real mac n' cheese, I decided that it was a must-try.

THE EVERYDAY MACARONI AND CHEESE

8 oz. dry elbow macaroni
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Tillamook Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 c. whole milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 c. (about 10 oz.) Tillamook Medium Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided

In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.  Add 2 1/2 tsp. salt and macaroni.  Cook according to package directions, stirring occasionally.  Pasta is done when it is slightly chewy to the bite or al dente.  Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.

Prepare sauce while pasta is cooking.  In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.  Whisk in flour and cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.  Gradually add milk and bring just to a boil, whisking constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer, whisking often (tired of that word yet?), until sauce slightly thickens, 4 to 5 minutes.  Add salt, pepper and 2 cups of cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Remove pan from heat and fold in pasta.  Pour into prepared baking dish then sprinkle top with remaining cheese.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes (they didn't give a temp so I did 350) or until cheese is bubbly and top begins to brown.  Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

NOTES:
  • I used more like 12 oz. pasta and liked the consistency...not too creamy or overbearing.
  • I used 2% milk instead of whole and it turned out swell.  I'm sure it'd be a bit richer/creamier with the whole milk but it really didn't seem to be a problem.
  • If you like a good, strong cheese flavor, go with Tillamook's SHARP cheese instead. While we're normally sharp cheese eaters, all we had in the fridge that day was the medium that the recipe called for....it was a little on the mild side for me. I really wish I had made it with sharp and will definitely be doing so next time.
  • Lastly - sit down for this one 'cause it's a real shocker - I shredded more cheese than the recipe called for.  1/2 cup of the good stuff just wasn't enough for the top.  If you like it cheesy, don't be shy!

This recipe was a definite hit for both me and my kiddies.  Both kids were apprehensive about trying homemade macaroni and cheese but both wolfed down what I gave them (and I think Hudson had seconds).  Nothing like the real thing!

P.S.  The  weather is now PERFECT for heating up your kitchen...great recipe for the fall and winter months.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I can think of no better thing that pasta with Tillamook cheese. Seriously!

VK said...

I always love the real stuff, and think you are a good mom cause you make it.

The King Family said...

Yummy! My boys love homemade mac N cheese- its actually the only kind they will eat. They detest the kind from the box- so thanks for the idea. Maybe I will be making that this weekend! Its also really good with whole wheat bread crumbs on the top drizzled with butter. Oh yeah!