Holy smokes. Forget the old saying about time flying when you're having fun. Here's what I have to say:
"Time flies when the kids are just getting back in school, everyone is adjusting to a new schedule, and you think you're going to have SO much free time with the kids away and then you find out that you're horribly - almost hysterically - wrong."
I know the kids have been in school for several weeks now but still, it took a while for all of us to adjust and I'm just now starting to feel like we've gotten into the groove of things. I felt like I was barely keeping my head above water for a solid month. Those of you who have more kids than I do are probably rolling on the floor in fits of laughter right now. I can see you. And I can hear you saying, "You only have TWO kids, chica...try managing with 5!" (or 4, 7, 15 or any other number higher than 2). Once upon a time I wanted at least 4 children. I would have happily considered 5 and might have gone for 6 (if I had felt like I was supposed to have another). Now, with as busy and crazed as I am with my 2, I wonder if I would have survived being a mom to that many kids. And I wonder how those of you in that boat are sane. Or are you?...
Now that I have conceded that I most likely have it easy with only two kids, I shall continue with my saga. Since school started, our weeks have gotten more and more packed. Our current schedules involve the following each week:
Claire
- group piano
- dance
- homework & piano practicing (daily)
- chores
Hudson
- piano
- Boy Scouts (3x/month)
- basketball practice (8 a.m. on Saturdays - blech!)
- basketball game (1 night/week)
- homework & piano practicing (daily)
- chores
Me
- volunteer all morning in C's class one day a week
- volunteer in H's class all morning one day a week
- pick up C & friend from school 2-3 times a week
- drive to and from dance every other week
- get H to & from basketball practices & attend games
- do all that other stuff that moms do: laundry, cleaning, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping, oversee/manage kids' homework & piano practicing (and chores!), and laundry
- attempt to stay sane and find some time for myself while doing all the things listed above
You want to know what the craziest part of all of this is?
I voluntarily got us into most of this.
Okay, I got into all of it when I became a mom...but a lot of it is what one could call "fluff". My kids don't NEED to be in piano. Claire doesn't NEED to be in dance and Hudson doesn't NEED to play basketball or go to Boy Scouts. That being said, they're happy doing these things and that makes me happy. I'm just glad that Max and I decided some time ago that we'll only allow one instrument and one sport at a time - 'cause if you ask me, signing up for more than that is like asking for a giant serving of psychosis with a generous helping of loony sauce on top. Now, don't think I'm critical of those who do have their kids in multiple sports and such. I'm actually somewhat in awe of them and their ability to juggle it all. Besides, I'm sure that I will someday eat my words and you can all laugh at me again when I do.
In the meantime, I'm going to keep on running around like a chicken with her head cut off. Oh - and just to mix things up a bit, Max had a kidney stone this week. And he'll be having major surgery in a few weeks. He's having his right hip resurfaced (left one was done about 4 1/2 years ago...the combination of hip dysplasia and degenerative arthritis is a real doozy). Wish me luck!
2 comments:
Yep, that's a busy schedule. It's a good thing you are Super Woman and can do it all with style and grace then, huh?!
makes me tired just thinking about it! is that what i have to look forward to with 3 kids doing it all at the same time!? it's a good thing it's so rewarding to watch our kids be happy. :)
Post a Comment