Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Time To Quarantine?

Since mid-October, we've had a nice round of ailments at our house...
 
It started with Claire catching a cold/cough on a Tuesday morning.  The next day I came down with some sort of stomach bug.  Her cold lasted until Friday, as did my sickness.  It happened to be the week of hubby's birthday, our anniversary, and the kids' annual fall break from school.  What a great way to spend what should have been a fun few days!
 
The following week, I convinced hubby that he needed to go to the ER late one evening as he was having symptoms that pointed to kidney stones (he'd had them once before).  Only one was diagnosed that night but they didn't check his kidney on the CT scan and said there could be more hiding in there.  Sure enough, ever since then, my poor husband has had a number of good days and nights interspersed with a few rotten days and nights as he's dealt with additional stones.  On top of that grand fun, his hip is beyond ready for the surgery he's having on the 19th...it doesn't take much activity or use to leave him in discomfort or pain.
 
This week started with Max having to stay home on Sunday with kidney pain but Monday looked a little brighter.  The kids had the day off from school and everything was normal... until that night.  Claire got up coughing and in spite of medicine, a humidifier and opening her window to let some cold air in, it took her a while to settle down.  Yesterday morning she was coughing again and thoroughly congested.  She perked up within a few hours (and spent a good 20 minutes in the afternoon sobbing because she couldn't go out and play with friends) and I was hopeful that she was on the mend already.  Silly me!  Last night was a bit rough again.
 
Today my girl woke up congested again so we kept her home from school a second day.  Hudson was up and getting ready for school as usual but seemed to be dragging along.  I thought that it might be a bit of "no-school jealousy" but he insisted that he felt weak, a bit tired, slow, and achy.  We thought he was probably just making it up but chose to let him have a day as well.  I'm glad that we did.  We checked on him mid-morning as Max was headed to work and he felt a bit warm so I decided to take his temperature.  He was nice and cozy at 100.5.  Oh, goody!  I gave the boy some Tylenol and sent him off to play quietly with his sister.
 
It's been a fine day, really.  No one is horribly sick, it's been relatively quiet, and I've been able to get some things done.  Oh - and I'm wearing yoga pants and a t-shirt and while I've showered, I haven't done my hair and I don't care because I'm not going anywhere today.  Bonus!! However, I'm 150% done with these pesky sicknesses and ailments making their rounds in our family.  With surgery less than 2 weeks away, I'm worried about Max catching one of the kids' bugs and I'm certainly in no mood to be sick myself.  I gave the kids very detailed instructions this morning about not touching ANY towel in the house except for their own bath towels in their bathroom upstairs and I'm getting things cleaned all over the house today.
 
Maybe I should just quarantine every member of our family until everything has worked its course. I know kidney stones aren't contagious, but still.
 
I will say one thing...  Times like these sure make me grateful for good health and all the days, weeks, and months of the year that we go without anyone being sick.  I gladly look forward to getting back to that!

No comments: