Friday, November 30, 2012

So Thankful, Thankful, Thankful

I can hardly believe that November is coming to a close.  It seems like this month absolutely flew by...
 
The other day I took down our Thankful Tree.  I really enjoyed looking at all of the leaves and noticing some of the things that my kids wrote down this year.  They really put some thought into what they wrote.  They aren't just thankful for toys, candy, and other such things anymore.  They listed things like piano, music, senses, friends, individual family members, food & shelter, etc.  It's neat to see them growing up that way.
 
Now, I know I've done thankful lists before but I feel like I should close out the month with one last hurrah before December hits us.  I am, after all, blessed beyond measure in so many ways (aren't we all?).  I feel like I should voice/write some of the things I'm grateful/thankful for while they're fresh on my mind.
 
I am thankful for...
  • my hard working, handsome, funny and supportive husband who puts up with my malarkey and sticks around in spite of it.
  • two beautiful, smart, funny, thoughtful, kind, amazing and all around awesome children who make my life worthwhile.
  • incredible parents who are always there for me.
  • four amazing siblings who also happen to be four of my best friends.
  • wonderful in-laws both in my family and in my hubby's...I've been blessed to find great friends and family in them.
  • the greatest extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) that anyone could ever dream of or ask for.  I love them to pieces!
  • my good health, strength, and physical abilities.  Five years ago these things were either not part of my life or they were being threatened.  I am so grateful that I'm able to walk, hear, and function well in general on a daily basis without my pesky health issues causing problems.
  • modern medicine (it ties in with my health but I have to give it its own nod) and how it has benefited my life and the lives of my loved ones.  If it weren't for advances in the medical world over the years, many of us wouldn't be here.
  • the freedoms I enjoy living in this country.  I know that the government isn't perfect and that things look pretty bad at times but I feel so blessed to live the life that I do with the freedoms we have been given here.
  • the opportunity I have to stay home and be a full time mom.  I know that this is not as common as it used to be and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
  • my blog.  It may sound cheesy but I enjoy writing, even if it is just about day to day stuff.  It's therapeutic for me and is good for my soul.
  • technology that allows me to easily stay in touch with and communicate with my family and friends.  It wasn't that long ago that the Internet, e-mail, and cell phones were non-existent or uncommon luxuries.
  • a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back, and a warm bed.
  • the little things in life that help me make it through the hard days...a visit or a phone call from a friend or family member, people who are good to my children and love them like I do, unexpected service or kindness from others, etc.
  • my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the opportunity we have to celebrate his birth in December.  There is no greater blessing in life than His life, teachings, and atonement.
There are so many other things that I am thankful for but today, I'm especially grateful for the things that matter (and a few things that don't)...

2 comments:

Erin said...

One thing I love about you is your great attitude about life. And I cried reading about Miles!

The King Family said...

You always have such a great attitude and outlook on life. Loved reading another one of your famous "lists!"