Wednesday, July 1, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MATT-MOO! - EDITED

I'm a very bad little sister. I realized on Friday that I failed to call my brother Matt for his birthday on Thursday. You know when I finally called him to wish him a very happy - and belated - birthday? Never...still hasn't happened yet and I seriously need to get it in gear. While I'm waiting to do so (and while I could actually be calling him), I'm going to do a belated birthday post. Here are some of the great things I love about my eldest brother, Matt:

  • He's very calm and very much a peacemaker - a good guy to have around when there's tension or you're upset.
  • He married a beautiful, funny, and super tan girl (none of us can tan so this is a very desirable quality in a spouse).
  • He has three ridiculously gorgeous children. Seriously...they got way more than their fair share in the looks department.
  • He was totally cool with his little sister flying out and visiting him when he was in college.
  • He's very empathetic and understanding.
  • He'll still answer to the name "Matt-Moo".
  • He looks a lot like our dad...it's neat to see younger pictures of my dad and do a double-take when I initially think it's Matt.
  • He introduced me to quality late 80's and early 90's music such as Beastie Boys, Biz Markie, Young MC, and Run DMC.
  • He's easy to talk to and always makes me feel like what I'm saying matters to him.
  • He's very tall. As in 6'7". Why is this so great? A) It's cool to be tall. B) When he imitates a toddler or little kid dancing, there's no way to escape laughing.
  • Being very tall, he played basketball in high school. I loved going to his games and hearing his friends cheer for "Matt-Nute".
  • Like my other brothers, he is always happy to lend a helping hand and pitch in, even if the help isn't really needed.
  • He has a great sense of humor.
  • It's fun to watch him duck a little when he walks through some doorways.
  • He is always thinking of other people.
  • He kept his cool and didn't get mad when as a kid, I tried to fix a flat on his mountain bike by super-gluing the tire to the rim (what...there's another way to do it?).
  • His freakishly white (not to mention long) legs look great in knee-socks.
  • He will undoubtedly forgive me for not calling him and for taking the time to write this post prior to doing so.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MATT!!



Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and write myself a note so I that I can once again forget to call him tonight after he's home from work.

7/1/2009
NOTE FROM ANNE:

Now it's my turn to add reasons I love Matt...

  • Matt can always make me laugh. He is so funny!
  • When we were growing up, if I was ever (rarely) upset at him,it ended quickly, because he would say or do something hysterical.
  • He lives in California.
  • He likes good food as much as I do.
  • He eats more than I do, which always makes a girl feel good.
  • We used to have late-night talks after "lights out," and one of us would have to bolt back to our room when we heard footsteps coming up the stairs.
  • He was really easy to share a car with at BYU.
  • He gave me good advice on dating and guys.
  • He is a people person.
  • He is thoughtful and generous.
  • He makes awesome pasta.
  • He speaks Italian, which is one reason I want to go to Italy with him.
  • He has a Jim Carrey-ish plastic face.
  • Just like our other brothers, his deep voice is awesome.
  • He was one of my best friends growing up.
  • He never complains about anything.
  • I could always talk to him about anything.
  • He is easy-going.
Happy Birthday, little bro!

Love, Anne

A WEE TAD MORE FROM ME:

So, after reading Anne's comments, I have to say a couple of things...

  • She mentioned his pasta and is SO right. Not only does he cook fabulous pasta, but his homemade bruschetta is to die for (I think I'm going to start drooling now).
  • I almost said the exact thing about his face being like that of Jim Carrey. He's got great physical comedy!
  • She mentioned that he eats copious amounts of food...it's not only nice to have him eat more than me, it's actually fun to watch him eat and see how many platefuls he can pack in! Now, the way I feel about his staying skinny all these years with that kind of eating is another story.
  • He taught me cool Italian words like "schifoso" and "puzzolente"...be nice to me or I might fire off one of these words in your direction.

P.S. I never made that note that I mentioned in my original post yesterday. And therefore, I never called the birthday boy. Let's see if I can manage to remember to do so after putting the kids down in a minute...

2 comments:

Anne said...

Now it's my turn to add reasons I love Matt...

- Matt can always make me laugh. He is so funny! When we were growing up, if I was ever (rarely) upset at him,it ended quickly, because he would say or do something hysterical.
- He lives in California.
- He likes good food as much as I do.
- He eats more than I do, which always makes a girl feel good.
- We used to have late-night talks after "lights out," and one of us would have to bolt back to our room when we heard footsteps coming up the stairs.
- He was really easy to share a car with at BYU.
- He gave me good advice on dating and guys.
- He is a people person.
- He is thoughtful and generous.
- He makes awesome pasta.
- He speaks Italian, which is one reason I want to go to Italy with him.
- He has a Jim Carrey-ish plastic face.
- Just like our other brothers, his deep voice is awesome.
- He was one of my best friends growing up.
- He never complains about anything.
- I could always talk to him about anything.
- He is easy-going.

Happy Birthday, little bro!

Love,
Anne

Natalie said...

Love fest over here! Matt, I didn't know you that long or that well, but you seem like a super-duper guy. And the way your sisters love you is awesome.