Sunday, July 12, 2009

VACATION EXTENDED - AGAIN

Holy moly, moly holy! That's one of my personal fave "Hudsonisms" and I think it's rather fitting considering that I haven't posted in a week. And for once, I even feel like I have stuff to post about. And I have pictures.

As stated in my previous post, after the very difficult time we had relaxing in Tahoe and at my sisters, we decided that we should treat ourselves to another break and head to my parents' place instead of going home. We were originally going to leave Anne's place on Wendesday but ended up heading out a day early and left after lunch on Tuesday. Turned out being a good thing as that night, Max wasn't feeling so great and came down with a fever and nasty cough (much like what the kids and I had at Tahoe).

Just like at Tahoe and A & J's place, we had a very nice and relaxing time at my parents. Max was sick the entire time we were there with his fever lasting for a solid 3 or 4 days...I felt SO bad for him! But as rotten as he felt, he did get a trip to the park in on Tuesday evening before he got sick and even when he wasn't feeling well, he did go out shopping with the kids and I a couple of times, and joined us for a Saturday morning trip to the Farmers' Market. But really, for the most part, he was content to sit at the house while the kids and I had our fun out and about with my parents or just my mom and I. Not that we went out a ton. More than anything else, we just spent time at the house, enjoying one another's company, letting the kids play (and get wet in the wading pool and with the hose), checking out Grandpa's "pet" blue belly lizard, and basking in the perfect weather.

Claire and "Ba-Pa" in the greenhouse/deck.

Hudson and Grandpa with the pet lizard. It was either just after or just before this picture that Hudson was holding the lizard and it leapt off his hand and crawled up the side of his face and head. Quite the surprise but Hudson thought it was great!

Claire having some quality time with the hose water while Grandma gave her plants a drink.

We did get to the mall and took a fun day trip to the Boardwalk (always a debate as to who has more fun...the adults or the kids), complete with going out of our way on the drive home for a stop at Gayle's for a few goodies. These goodies purchased included, of course, a Princess Cake. NOTE: if you are not a fan of marzipan or you don't want to read about my obsession with food, just skip the rest of this paragraph. I could have eaten the entire cake by myself. In one sitting. After a huge dinner. With both hands tied behind my back. However, I put my needs aside and over the next few days, I shared it with my dad (who bought the thing - I guess he was entitled to a slice) and mom. Max thinks it has too much marzipan. I know, seriously! I wish I had a picture of a Princess Cake to share with you. And to frame and put next to my bed. But I couldn't find a good close-up online. If you would like to take a little peek at one, click here. There are a few of these delectible beauties in this shot...they're the cute little scrumptious pastel domes in plain green, pink, and purple with a rosebud powdered sugar on top of each. Holy moly, moly holy...tonight's dessert of vanilla ice cream with fresh peaches is no longer cutting it! But enough about one of the greatest bakery masterpieces of all time.

Our last full day there happened to be Father's Day. With much assistance from my parents in getting the last minute details taken care of, I officially surprised Max for what I think is the first time ever. Sure, I've baked him unexpected goodies or brought home something I knew he'd like in the past but never have I pulled off something like this. Back in May, I took the kids for a session with a super fab photographer outside of Park City. Hudson knew that it was a present for Father's Day and kept his lips totally zipped for a good month - I was so proud of him! Anyway, the gift that I actually gave him that day was these three pictures, all framed:

One of Hudson's solo shots.


A Claire solo shot.


The kids sitting together on a really neat covered wooden bridge...I can't recall what he was telling her but I just love how his arm is around her and she's so obviously listening to what he has to say.

Max was totally surprised and even though I know he loves the pictures, I think the homemade card from Hudson was every bit as special to him. There are more pictures of the kids but I since I just barely finalized by order, I haven't recevied my package with the disc and such yet. Therefore, I can't post any more right now...but I'll do so when I get the goods.

Now, I failed to mention in my post about going to Anne's that while at her place, we got "the call" from our genetecist's office telling us that the results on the kids' bloodwork had come in. Turns out that while Hudson is in the clear, Claire has my condition. It stinks but there's obviously nothing we can do about it. I'm honestly just grateful to know...knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle (G.I. Joe!). Now, we can move on and instead of worrying about the "what if's", we can focus on life as it is and treat her at a much earlier age than I was treated. Anyway, point is, It really was so nice to go and spend some one on one time with my parents, especially considering the news we had just gotten. As always, my parents were so accomodating, thoughtful, generous, etc. and I can't thank them enough for all they did while we were there.

We left my parents place the morning of Monday the 22nd and took the gloriously long and boring drive home. While Hudson kept asking "How much longer?" and "When are we going to get there?", Claire was a little gem and was content throughout the drive. Not that Hudson was bad - he's just at that age where energy is high and patience runs low. A couple of hours after dinner that night, we stepped inside our house for the first time in 18 days, 7 of which were planned, and all of which were a very welcome and fabulous break. After living in Vacation Land for so long, it took me a while to get back in the groove of normal life. But I think I'm finally back...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet it was a huge relief to get the blood work results. I'm glad that at least Hudson doesn't have it! Claire sounds like a trooper, though! I feel so bad that all of you got sick on your vacation at some point or another! It sounds like you had fun anyway! The pictures are darling, and I checked out the website and found a few pics of Hudson and Claire in there! How do you have such cute kids?!

katie j said...

gorgeous pictures of your gorgeous children! love you tons cous.
xoxo

Natalie said...

Awe....your parents are SO cute...not to mention your kiddos. Congrats on being able to surprise Max, that is quite a feat for a 5 year old to keep a secret that long! I'm bummed about your news re: Claire, but it is true, knowledge IS power.

By the way, I saw a 4 pk of mini-princess cakes in the freezer section at Ikea today. Pale green. Think they're worth a try?