Wednesday, September 9, 2009

GROCERY STORE TRIUMPH

As I normally do about 14 times each week, I went to the grocery store the other day. Everything was fine and dandy. I took a leisurely stroll through the market, working from produce on the right end over to the bakery and deli on the left end, checking out the sales, putting unnecessary items in my cart...you know, the usual. I finished up in the frozen foods section and as I exited the aisle and headed for the shortest (and coincidentally the nearest) line, a lady came speeding down the row of checkout stands, took a sharp turn to her right, and cut me off to get in the envied short line.

Ms. Speedy seemed to be avoiding looking at me and I avoided calling her bad names out loud. Even if she had looked at me, it's not like I'd have said anything anyway. If she's in that much of a rush and gets her jollies by putting herself first (and cutting someone off to do so) then whoop-dee-do for her. Besides, I realized that maybe she had a good reason for being a punk. Anyway, I just pushed my cart on further and got in the next checkout line over. I was behind 2 people in line and Ms. Speedy was behind a single lady who appeared to be just about out the door. Well, as her apparent bad luck would have it, said lady was extremely slow making her payment and such and as my good luck would have it (and did!), the people in front of me both took care of business in a more than timely manner. By the time my friend's groceries were just starting to be scanned, I was swiping my AMEX and ready to head out the door. And when she was just getting to her car, I was already in mine. Groceries loaded, daughter strapped in her car seat, and the engine of my dear Expedition roaring to life.

This was definitely a case of a person's self-serving actions backfiring on them. Shame on me, but I couldn't help but smile and gloat all the way home.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Am I a bad person because I sometimes see people cut me off driving or something and secretly hope they are the ones that get tickets? I'm glad things worked out for you!

VK said...

Carma baby Caarrmaaa.
So, yes the onion/blue cheese was a hit at my house too. Michael's girlfriend said it made her hamburger the best she'd ever had, and I snuck in to the onions the next day for lunch.

jon and callie said...

Sweet sweet justice...

Natalie said...

Gloat away! That old biddy had it coming! I love when karma works right away.

And I too end up at the grocery WAY too often. Even Chris has started complaining that I go to the store everyday....need to work on that.