Friday, September 25, 2009

LIST: WHY I LOVE FALL

Before I post about our trip to Maui, I have to first acknowledge that we are now basking in the glory of autumn...aka one of the 2 best times of the year. There may only be 4 seasons but that doesn't matter. Hallelujah and praise the heavens above, I love this time of the year. If there were only two seasons - spring and fall - I would be one superbly content chick. But alas, summer and winter have the nerve to wedge themselves in there. And to top it all off, I actually like things about them, too. But still, how dare they? Now, without any further whining, I give you:

SOME OF THE MANY REASONS THAT I LOVE FALL

  • The bright oranges, reds, and yellows that pop up almost overnight.
  • The days are cooler but often just warm enough that I'm still comfy in shorts/capris and sandals.
  • Equally as great as the cooler days are the cooler - sometimes cold - nights...I sleep so much better when it's a bit chilly in the house!
  • One word: PUMPKINS! I love the variety that are available and I always have to get several for my front porch whether they're the good ole' classic orange, white, pale green or peach Cinderellas, the miniature ones, whatever. I seriously dig pumpkins.
  • The Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin candles that I light all the time. I'm so in love with the scent that I have 3 extras sitting in a cupboard. If they ever discontinue it, so help me...
  • It's the best time of year to visit Apple Hill in Northern California...I haven't been there to over-stuff myself with apple fritters, donuts, and fresh-pressed juice in a few years but boy, it sure is swell.
  • I get to pull out some of my favorite footwear: boots.
  • Daylight savings time ends...I know that so many people dread this and I do love longer days, but having it get dark earlier in the evening or very late in the afternoon seems to make my house look and feel cozier.
  • In addition to all the fantastical pumpkins that are out there, I love going to local pumpkin patches and finding a good assortment of gourds.
  • I may get some weird looks for this one but there's just something about the smell of the heater when it's turned on the first few times after being off for months.
  • My fall mantle: it always has my Pilgrim and Indian couples (figures stand about 12-14 inches tall), colorful leaves that we find in our yard and neighborhood, little pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, and two tall ivory beeswax candles with a fall berry wreath around each.
  • The outdoor smell of autumn...I know it probably consists of dirt, rotting leaves, dying grasses, etc., but I just love breathing it in!
  • The two big fall holidays: Halloween (which is growing on me more and more each year) and Thanksgiving (just you wait for lists to follow for that one!). And we musn't forget Guy Fawkes Day in Great Britain and North Ireland or Marlborough Anniversary in New Zealand.
  • It's officially baking and cooking season: pumpkin pie, quick breads, apple crisp, cookies, homemade caramels, soups and stews, pumpkin pie squares, Cardamom bread...the list goes on and on.
  • The huge piles of leaves that Max rakes up and watching Hudson jump into them.

Hudson back in 2007

NOTE: When I went to copy the link for my beloved candles from Bath & Body Works, I discovered that they're on sale right now...2 for $20 instead of $17 each. Time to stock up! Oooh - while there, I discovered that in addition to my aforementioned fave, they have scents like Spiced Cider, Cinnamon & Clove Buds, and Creamy Nutmeg. I think I'm going to be dropping by a store one of these days for a little smell-a-thon. I am obsessed.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I <3 Fall too! Those candles sound deeeelish. I have a BBW coupon and I am SO there today to pick one up....you want me to forward you a coupon too??

Anne said...

Love the list! My only complaint is that your quiz didn't have the option "All of the above," which is what I would've chosen. It was hard to narrow it down to one!! ;-)

Erin said...

I love the baking season. The smells are fantastic. You can come and decorate my house if you want...yours always looks so great!