We've witnessed a small miracle at our house in the past week. As I've mentioned before, Claire is a picky eater...especially when it comes to meat. Prior to last week, there were only 3 dishes containing meat that she would eat: pasta with meat marinara sauce, my mom's recipe for chicken & rice casserole, and chicken nuggets (and she's picky on those). Then the winds of change came blowing through our kitchen...
Last Sunday night, I made breakfast for dinner - skillet potatoes, bacon, and pancakes. When I took Claire her plate, I held up a piece of bacon and told her that unless she took a bite of it, she wouldn't get any pancakes or "fries". She protested and said that she didn't like it. Then she actually took a bite. And she didn't spit it out. Lo and behold, it was a hit! And she proceeded to eat a total of 3 or 4 pieces that evening.
On Wednesday, I made our favorite tostada salad recipe for dinner (will post it one of these days...so very yummy). The recipe includes a mixture of ground beef, black beans, Mexican stewed tomatoes, and green chiles. I tossed the meat mixture into her bowl with some shredded lettuce, cheese, olives, and avocado - all of which are on her favorites list - and crossed my fingers that she'd at least give it a try. Max offered her the first forkful and upon hearing that it was salad, she wolfed it down. She was immediately ready for more. I was shocked and beyond happy when she not only ate the first bite but polished off the entire bowlful that I had prepared for her.
Tonight was the icing on the cake. I made a favorite salmon recipe for dinner and as I usually do, I put a small serving on Claire's plate. A very long, long, long time ago, Claire ate salmon a time or two and seemed to like it. But as of tonight, it had probably been a good 18 months since she'd willingly taken a bite of our favorite finned food. Once again, I informed her that she had to take one bite. Surprisingly enough, she opened up fairly quickly and after I put it in her mouth she said, "I like it!" and proceeded to eat 4 more good sized bites over the course of the meal.
In addition to her doubling the number of dishes she'll eat containing meat in a week's time, she also added another item to the list of things she likes today: a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich. We've tried to get her to eat them before but it was always a no-go (as with just about everything else new that we place in front of her). When I sat the kids up for lunch today everything seemed normal...Claire with her picky-girl special and Hudson with his usual spread. Hudson got up from the table for a second and when he turned back, his PB&J was sitting on his place mat with a small bite out of one corner. Claire was quick to admit that she had stolen said morsel and that - drum roll, please - she liked it! I made her a half PB&J of her own so that she wouldn't have to steal more from her brother. She polished it off without a problem.
I'd been worried for some time that Claire would never try (and heaven forbid, actually like) anything new unless chocolate was the main ingredient. She didn't like every new thing I made her try this week. Grilled filet mignon is apparently disgusting. But I'm okay with her thinking that. Her accepting four foods onto her very exclusive list of edibles in a week's time is positively monumental. I think I see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel and I'm hopeful that she'll continue to broaden her horizons when it comes to food. Miracles never cease...
4 comments:
I love finding new blogs. I hope you don't care that I added it on our blog roll. We have a blog too, let me know if you would like an invite.
YAY Claire! She is a sweet girl. Tell her Aunt Erin is super proud of her for eating so well!
That is AMAZING! And a true testament to the fact that if you continue to expose them, they will eventually eat foods they once snubbed! Good job Mom!
Victory! Maybe there is hope for Katie too! That is awesome!
Post a Comment