Tuesday, March 23, 2010

LIST: Spend, Spend, Spend

A while back, I had a poll up on the side bar of this here blog. It asked y'all to vote on ideas for lists for me to write up. The winner was "Things I Said I'd Never Do As A Parent" (see that list here) and the runner-up - and only other topic to receive any votes - was "Places Where I Like To Spend and Waste Money". Seeing as how I am apparently unable to come up with any other time-worthy lists, this is what my list-loving-self and I are giving you today:

PLACES WHERE I MOST LIKE TO USE MY AMEX
  • Crate and Barrel: I have been addicted to C&B since long before my days of having my own place. I bought my 1st set of dinner plates there when I was 18. And I still have them...white plates with a pretty blue pattern of plum branches. I can't tell you how much I love this store and just about everything they carry. Plates. Table Linens. Holiday and seasonal decor. Barware. BBQ toys. Cooking and baking utensils. Heavy metal measuring cups. Dish towels. Cutting boards. All these and many, many, many more things that make my kitchen-loving world go round. You don't want to know how many of their plates, drinking glasses, serving dishes, linens, and culinary gadgets I have in my cupboards and drawers upstairs. If you really want me to, I can count them all for a future post..but I would likely end up neglecting my family for a solid three days while I tallied it all up. Final word on this store: the peeps over at C&B need to get their heineys in gear and open a store here. They'd survive their 1st year on my purchases alone.
  • Gymboree: My sister-in-law got me hooked on Gymbo years ago. Such darling kids' clothes...I can't help myself. I'm happy to say that I don't ever pay full price (except maybe for socks but even then, but I buy a few so I get them for cheaper). I wait for the sales and then use a coupon on top of the existing discount to get the best deals possible. Oh - and I don't use my AMEX here. I actually use my Gymboree VISA...it gets me a discount at Gymboree and I earn a gift card a couple of times each year. And I make my husband carry a Gymboree VISA for when he goes to stores that don't take AMEX. He curses me for having this in his wallet but I love my gift cards.
  • Bath & Body Works: I obsessed about their candles in a post a while back and here, I'll obsess about those and everything else this store sells. Their candles rock - you don't even have to light them to get a nice scent in a room. Just take off the lid and you're in business. My favorite lotion is their Tahiti, Sweetie cream...I use it all summer long and during the winter months, I count down the days until it's okay to smell all tropical again. I'm often tempted to ingest their antibacterial foam hand soaps while washing my hands (Grapefruit, Coconut Lime Verbena, etc.). I once did get some in my mouth on accident, though, and they don't taste nearly as good as they smell. It actually tasted horrible. All of the products that I have tried are simply fabulous. Only problem with this place is they're really good at luring you in with sales and the likes thereof.
  • Costco: I don't really think that this one needs much explanation. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank them for carrying boneless leg of lamb, really high-quality salmon, fatty loaves of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese, fun seasonal stuff (mainly Christmas and yard items), and those fantastic cook-em-yourself torillas. Oh - and most importantly, for adding those insanely delicioso braided apple strudels to their bakery selection. My thighs will never be the same. Other than my deep appreciation, all I can say is these two words: black hole (see previous post about Costco here).
  • Gayle's: If you've followed my blog to any extent, you just might have noticed that I kinda like this place. And their Princess Cake (their description: three layers of vanilla genoise cake ~ layers of pastry cream, raspberry jam & whipped cream inside ~ pastel marzipan shell outside ~ sprinkled with powdered sugar ~ topped with a fresh rose. Hang on...I just started drooling. Gayle's is a darling bakery and rosticceria in Capitola, CA. Darling because of it's mis-matched chairs and vintage decor. Darling because of its brick patio. Darling because every last little morsel of food that they make is worth every last penny. Not only have they blessed this world with their Princess Cake, they also whip up tasty downtowners with sugar, perfect fresh fruit tarts, chocolate mousse, apricot croissants, hot meals (pastas, chicken, ribs, etc.), sandwiches, salads, and let us not forget, super delicious breads. Yes, you can almost break the bank in one visit (especially if you purchase a whole cake to take home). And yes, you should abstain from eating there more often than one a month for fear of gaining 50 pounds from devouring their garlic bread alone. But let me tell you...after noshing on Gayle's goodies, you'll not only be willing to gain weigh from eating there, you may well want to do so. Mmmmmmm.
  • Target: I still remember the 1st time I ever heard the name of this store. My best friend Kim got a new CD player for a fabulous price and upon asking her where she got such a deal, her response was, "My mom got it at Target." I had no idea what Target was or where it was. Now I know what and where it is and there is absolutely no chance of turning back. I love Target. Very much. Especially our local Super Target. I could wander their aisles for hours on end (and I may or may not have actually done so a time or two). Cute kids clothes and shoes, home decor, toiletries, groceries, toys, entertainment...you name it, it's really quite possible that they've got it. I would explain my love for Target further but I'm fairly certain that all 6 of you who read my blog know exactly what I'm saying.
  • Williams-Sonoma: Like Crate and Barrel, Williams-Sonoma has a special place in my heart, in my kitchen, and in our magazine basket. Their catalogs are totally fantastic. They make me want to leave my very comfy life as a perfectly happy mother, wife, and cook, and instantly become filthy rich so I can purchase every last thing they dangle in front of me. I only have a handful of their items gracing my kitchen...just my all-time favorite mixing bowls, a super awesome drip-less turkey baster, some really cute colored rubber scrapers, my favorite rooster bowls (the black and white rooster is the only one I don't totally love - when I serve in these bowls, I always make sure I end up with one of the others), a number of dishcloths and dish towels, my favorite Italian serving platter and shallow bowl, and a few other things. This really doesn't sound like "a handful" but compared to how many items I would purchase if I had cash to burn, it's nothing.
  • Expressionary: I can't recall how I stumbled upon this website but I really truly love it. I discovered their darling stationary just prior to having Claire and had a field day picking out note cards and personalizing them with her name. Some of the things they offer are fairly cheesy (though deep down inside I really do wish someone would get me the Maltese Folded Notes) but for the most part, I simply can't get enough of their folded notes, address labels, etc. If you're tempted to get something from them, just hold your horses and consider this: coupon codes. Get on the company's e-mail list and you'll get super marvy offers from time to time like 70% off clearance items...I seriously made out like a bandit just after the New Year with that one.
  • Old Navy: Being on the tall side, I love shopping here for their special "tall" sizes. Extra length in the sleeves and body and a really fantastic 36 inch inseam on pants/jeans. I am not too freakishly tall but I do have uber-long legs. I'm only 5'9" but I have about a 34 inch inseam. If I buy pants with this measurement and they shrink up much, they become floods. Very stylish back in the '80s. But we're about 20-30 years past that style and I thank Old Navy for providing me with pants and t-shirts that are nice and long.
Honestly, I could probably add another 4 or 5 of my favorite spending haunts to this list. But I've rambled on long enough, my fingers are tired, and I have things to do...now will someone please pass my wallet?

4 comments:

Erin said...

Just about every place on your list I frequent as well. I can now say that my sister-in-law got me hooked on Gymboree. Thanks! There are just so many wonderful stores out there. So many cute things, so little time (and money!)

Anne said...

Ditto. Especially on Costco, Target, GAYLE'S, and Williams Sonoma.

Natalie said...

Ohhhh, I'm so with you. Costco and Target are my WORST. And The Children's Place....but I get some smokin' hot deals there, so I'm not even gonna feel bad about that.

Have you smelled the new Orange Sapphire scent at Bath & Body Works. Oh MY! It is ah-mazing!

Michelle said...

Target, TAAAAARRR-GEEEEET! How I love you, let me count the ways. I HAVE spent several hours there wandering and looking at everything while the kids do the same in the toy aisle.

I have to admit, I've never had much luck with Crate & Barrel. I love the look, but all the dishes, glasses and dessert cups break and chip so readily. Like I said, otherwise I love the look!