Thursday, April 2, 2009

IMAGINARY FRIENDS

When Hudson added his imaginary son, Seventy, to his list of favorite people/things the other day, I thought that doing a post about Hudson's little pal might be appropriate. Since then, I've been thinking about imaginary friends in general and how many kids do or don't have them.

I had an imaginary friend. Her name was Jefinner. I'm not even sure that I spelled it correctly but it was either that or Jeffiner and I think that the first looks better. Either way, I'm sure that you get that it was my way of saying Jennifer incorrectly. I don't remember ever playing with her but Jefinner was the coolest chick around. She had all the toys that I wanted but didn't have, went on the best vacations, did the most amazing things. Oh - and she had brown hair. I remember driving to the city with my family as a child and pointing out all of the houses that Jefinner lived in. Each time I saw what my little mind thought was a cool looking dwelling, I'd say something like, "That's where Jefinner lives." To which one of my family members would respond, "I thought you said that she lives in that pink house a few miles back." Then I would say something like, "Well, she used to live there. Then they moved to the new house a few days ago." Very flighty, that family of hers. Anyway, enough about my girl.

Seventy came to live with us some time ago - maybe a year or 18 months? He popped up out of the blue. I don't remember the first time that Hudson mentioned him but I do remember thinking, "Wow. That's an interesting name." I have two strong memories of Seventy, both being from sometime this last fall.

First, we were driving to Target one day and Hudson had just informed me that Seventy was in the back seat buckled in next to him. He then proceeded to tell me that Seventy's parents were in the car in front of us...the conversation then went something like this:

Me: "I thought that you were Seventy's dad."
Hudson: "Well, they're allergic to kids so he's going to be with us for like, a month."
Me (quietly laughing): "Okay."
Hudson: "Mom? Seventy is sad."
Me: "Why?"
Hudson: "Because someone shooted his mom with a gun-shooter (aka gun) and she died."
Me: "I thought she was in the car in front of us."
Hudson: "I know. I'm just kidding...she's just going to the doctor."

Uhhhhh, okay then!

Second memory takes place in our local WalMart. We were walking through the store when Hudson starts hollering at the top of his lungs, "SEVENTY! SEVENTY!" I asked him what in the world he was doing and he informed me that Seventy had walked away from us and that he was trying to find him. I wasn't even aware that he was with us on this particular trip...had I known, I would have informed both Hudson and Seventy that they needed to stay with me while we were in there. And yes, I have spoken to Seventy before. Usually to keep him in check by telling him to stop talking or to knock off whatever nonsense he's pulling.

Yesterday evening a neighbor/friend came over for a minute and we somehow got on the topic of imaginary friends. She friend said that neither of her boys ever had one. But her sister did. And that imaginary friend's name? Black Monkey. When she told me that, I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it and I'm guessing that you just did the same. Am I right?

I told her about a niece of ours who had an imaginary friend that once scared my poor sister-in-law half to death. My SIL was upstairs when she suddenly heard her daughter screaming downstairs. She ran down wondering what was happening as they were the only two home. Her little girl was standing in the middle of the room crying her eyes out. "What is going on?!" Our niece pointed to one side and yelled, "She started it!" Turns out she'd gotten into a massive argument with her imaginary friend. If that had been Jefinner, I would have dropped her like a hot potato.

All in all, imaginary friends are fun. Lots of fun.

Now here's my request to each and every one of you: Please e-mail me with a list of the imaginary friends that you, your spouse, or your children have had along with an experience that you don't mind sharing (if you can remember one...but at least tell me who had the friend and the friend's name). I'd like to do a post in the next couple of weeks with all of these fun tidbits in it. If you need my e-mail address, just leave a comment stating such and I'll send it to you.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

K -I've never had an imaginary friend, that I can remember...but Savi does. I'll send you an email.

Anonymous said...

Cute blog Suzie! I am cracking up about the imaginary friend. Lexy had one for a few months before Lena was able to play with her and his name was Crabbage.... good times :)