I know that many of you probably have a Texas Sheet Cake recipe kicking around somewhere. But until you've tried this one, you've been missing out (unless this is the exact recipe you have). I had a recipe that I used to use and even though many of the ingredients are the same and most of the measurements are the same or close, I'm telling you, there seriously is a difference in the end result. We are addicted to this cake...
THE BEST TEXAS SHEET CAKE
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 c. melted butter
1 c. water
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 400 and grease a large, 1" deep sided cookie sheet. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and sugar. Pour in remaining ingredients (making sure the melted butter is first) and mix well. Spread batter into the greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (mine is usually perfect at 18 minutes).
FROSTING
(make towards the end of the cake's cooking time)
1/2 c. melted butter
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
Combine all ingredients and mix well. To thin the frosting out, add additional milk by the Tbsp. or to thicken, add more powdered sugar a bit at a time. Frost the cake while it's still warm (I usually let the cake sit for about 5 minutes and then frost).
NOTES
- DO NOT OVERBAKE THE CAKE!! I did this for the first time the other day. It was only in the oven about 2 minutes too long but it really seemed dry to me. But it was still super tasty and everyone gobbled it up (they didn't know the difference).
- Only use normal or butter flavored spray for greasing the pan (or good old Crisco). Do not use spray that has flour in it as the cake will bubble and overflow and make a horrible mess of your oven. I did this...very un-awesome.
1 comment:
And, um, DO NOT use Pam W/Flour, or your cake will bubble and flow all over your oven....grease it the good ol' fashion way. :P
Post a Comment