Friday, May 29, 2009

LOST & FOUND RECIPE: MONKEY BREAD

Here is the first of many "lost & found" recipes from cleaning out my craft room. I served this at a bridal shower brunch that I threw over a year ago. They were a big hit...even my "not picky" husband (he just knows what he likes) thought they were good and requested that I make them for our family sometime. I still haven't made them...maybe this weekend.

MONKEY BREAD

3 (12 oz.) packages/tubes refrigerated biscuit dough
1 c. white sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. margarine
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 c. raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease one 9- or 10-inch tube/bundt pan.

In a plastic bag, mix the white sugar and cinnamon together. Cut biscuits into quarters. Shake 6 to 8 dough pieces in the cinnamon sugar at a time. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the greased pan. Continue until all biscuits are coated and in pan. If adding the nuts and raisins, arrange them on top of and in between the biscuit layers as you go along.

In a small saucepan, melt the margarine and brown sugar over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute and then pour over the biscuits.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a plate or platter. No need to cut...rolls pull apart.

NOTES:

  • Help me out: what this stuff called "margarine" on the list of ingredients? Butter is the only thing besides Crisco that ever graces my baking with its presence. I used butter and had no problems.
  • Knowing the tastes of the bride-to-be at the shower and my ultra-picky husband, I left out the nuts and raisins...still very good.
  • My bundt pan is a wee tad bit on the small side (one of these newer formed/shaped ones) so I didn't use up all of the biscuit dough - probably about 2 1/2 packages worth instead of the full 3.
Next recipe to be posted just in time for summer BBQ's: Grilled Corn with Lime Butter.

1 comment:

Anne said...

"wee tad bit..." You're killing me! :-)