I realized this afternoon that I haven't done a recipe post in quite some time...so here's one for all of you pasta salad fans. It's a very easy one and unless my friends are lying to me, it's always a big hit. Just one note in advance - I'm giving the recipe as I received/found it but I make a number of changes to it whenever I make it. It's just fine this way but if you want to know about what I do to it, just check out my notes at the end.
ITALIAN CONFETTI PASTA SALAD
1 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 c. colored rotoni pasta
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1/2 c. chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 c. sliced black olives
Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and drain. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and garlic until well blended. Mix in basil. Add pasta, tomatoes,bell peppers, and olives. Fold gently until mixed. Chill several hours and stir gently prior to serving.
NOTES:
- I know I've said this before, but don't just use the easy, pre-ground stuff when it comes to the pepper. Fresh ground pepper makes the world a better place.
- I use 2 cloves of garlic instead of 1...sometimes I even use 3 if they're on the small side.
- While fresh basil is the greatest stuff in the world (besides fresh ground black pepper), I have used bottled freeze-dried basil. It's not the regular dried basil you find in the spice section - it's usually found in produce.
- While I have used the colored rotoni pasta a time or two, I usually go for whatever fun-shaped regular pasta (or combination of 2 or 3) I have on hand and I think it actually tastes better. But that's my humble opinion.
- I use about 3 c. of uncooked pasta rather than the 2 shown in the original recipe. Makes the whole thing come out a little lighter with the sauce being spread more.
- On the tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, and black olives, I never measure how much I'm putting in. I just toss in "about that much" and add more after mixing if I think it needs it.
- In addition to the veggies listed above, I always add a few chopped/sliced green onions and some chopped celery or broccoli if I'm in the mood.
- Lastly, real parmesan cheese is a must. Like the additional veggies, it's not on the ingredient list but it really brings the salad up a notch.
- This salad is also great with rotisserie or grilled chicken tossed in.
No comments:
Post a Comment