I was out in the backyard yesterday afternoon doing some planting and transplanting. Upon moving a perennial daisy from its old home to its new one, I noticed a perfect chrysalis sitting on the ground right where I had just pulled the plant from. Three thoughts immediately crossed my mind:
- Oh, no! I killed a butterfly!
- I wonder if it's okay and if I can save it.
- That would be so cool to keep it and have it hatch!
I immediately went inside and did some research online. I couldn't figure out the exact breed of butterfly based on the looks of the chrysalis but found all the info I needed to move forward in my hopes to save the butterfly. Once finished, I went out and picked up the chrysalis. When I touched it, the tail end moved. That's the only way to confirm life - good sign! I then set up a nice, roomy habitat for our new pet in a huge glass jar with dirt/mud and a daisy stem and leaves. It was quite pretty - textured glass and all - if I do say so myself. I came down to my craft room and got my scrapbooking glue dots and using just one, secured the chrysalis to an aspen tree twig that I then carefully leaned against the inside wall of the jar. I pulled a knee-high nylon stocking over the jar's mouth and voila!...we had our own butterfly in progress.
I did the "touch check" on it again this morning and thank goodness, it was still alive. I really hadn't killed it. From what I'd read online, its dark color is indicative of the butterfly emerging soon, so I peeked in on our visitor off and on today, hoping to see our friend coming out of its protective home.
This evening, I couldn't help but think that there must be some way to figure out what breed of butterfly we would be seeing in the next day or two. So I went back to the computer and instead of "dark chrysalis" or "dark red chrysalis" as I did yesterday, I decided that my thinking it was red was incorrect and typed in "dark brown chrysalis". Once again, I found images of a darkening monarch chrysalis but the shape/form wasn't right. I kept pulling up different pages and then I found it. We were the proud foster parents of...
Some sort of Hawk Moth. Gross! I immediately took the contents of the jar and put them in the trash. Garbage day tomorrow...perfect. I am still getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. And I get them even worse when I try to find a good (aka totally disgusting) picture of one to post here. Not gonna do it. I could post the picture that I took of the chrysalis when I thought it was a butterfly. But I've already deleted it because just seeing it grosses me out.
Honestly, I can handle cute little moths like skippers (used to chase and catch them on the neighbor's lawn) but anything bigger or uglier than that? Count me out. I can't believe I was going to nurture a moth. Blech!
3 comments:
good thing your kids are cute. hate to think what woulda happened to a 'mothy' child. j/k hahaha!
Hahaha! That is so funny that you were nurturing it and then TRASHED it when you found out it wasn't what you expected.
Just goes to show, you never know what you're gonna get!
That made me laugh. No one wants a pet moth. Gross. I'm proud of you for wanting to help out what you thought was a butterfly though!
Post a Comment