While I was busy putting off laundry and running errands by spending a few minutes on my computer on Friday morning, my office phone lit up. Knowing it was about to ring, I glanced to check caller ID. Our school district's name was there along with the elementary school's main office phone number. I was immediately worried and thought, "Oh, great...he's throwing up because of his acid reflux." I couldn't have been more wrong. When I picked up the phone, a very excited Hudson said, "Hi, Mom! I got a certificate to Burger King!" After asking him if anything was wrong and confirming that he was okay, I allowed my boy to carry on. He had won a certificate and was supposed to pick it up in the office at the beginning of recess but he wanted to play first so he waited until the end of recess and now he was in the office and had his certificate and would bring it home today. I had absolutely ZERO clue as to why Hudson had gotten this but assumed that it was for his participation in the school read-a-thon or something like that.
I went ahead and ran a quick errand after hanging up the phone and then headed to pick Hudson up at school. I was standing outside his classroom doors waiting when Hudson saw me through the window, beamed from ear-to-ear, and jumped up and down while waving at me. As soon as they were allowed out, he came running to me and showed me that golden piece of paper. It wasn't just a certificate for a kid's burger at Burger King (though that was a very important part of it)...it was a Principal's Crowned Jewel Award for his being a "Peacebuilder". From what I gathered from my Kindergartner's point of view, at the end of each month, they announce over the p.a. system the name of one child from each class who has won this award. Cindy? Becky? Do I have this right? Whether or not I have my facts straight, my boy got this award for being a swell kid this month. His teacher told him that he got it for being such a good helper in the classroom and always cleaning up. I'd never even heard of this award before Friday but I'm so proud of my boy for getting it.
You'll never guess where we're going to get lunch on Monday...
4 comments:
Awwww -- look how proud he looks! Nice job, Hudson!!
Yeah Hudson!
Way to go Huds! He is a good kid. Those burgers down below look good enough to eat.
How fun! I love it!
Post a Comment