Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Too Tired To Shop

Whenever I see a kid sleeping in a shopping cart I can't help but think of how insanely uncomfortable he/she must be. Neither of my kids has ever been a shopping cart sleeper. They've always come around to consciousness when placed in the basket or the seat. While it wouldn't bother me if my kiddies snoozed while I did my shopping (sometimes it'd be a welcome change), I've never been one of those moms walking around with a kid napping in the cart like they're laid out on a plush feather bed. But this changed last week...

Claire has been getting up early lately. For a long time, both of our kids got up around 7:00 each morning. I thought this was horribly early. And it was. Until Claire decided that 6:10 or so should be her magic time. In the past few weeks, she has gotten up at or after 7:00 only a time or two. Most mornings it's sometime between 6:10 and 6:30. Ugh.

Anyway, one day last week I took Claire with me to that savings haven called WalMart. It was one of those early-up days for her and just prior to my pulling in the parking lot, she zonked out in the back seat. I fully expected her to come to when I got her out of the car but she stayed out. I buckled her into the cart. She stayed asleep. I tried to wake her up. She got really irritated and passed out again...sitting up. I couldn't help but be amused.

Poor, tired little girl. Not only is she sleep deprived but she has a mean mommy who finds much joy in her nearly tipping over in a shopping cart. I guess next time I'll either make sure she has napped or bring a blanket or pillow along with us.

4 comments:

VK said...

What a cute, tired girl.
So how'd you post the video?????

Erin said...

How funny! You aren't mean. I would have done the same thing. Tyler got so tired at Disneyland he actually fell asleep in Steve's arms. That hasn't happened since he was Hannah's age!

The Hodgmans David, Kara, Lexy, Lena and Luke said...

Lena did that a lot last year ... I used my purse as a pillow for her :) Now I just don't go anywhere around nap time- shopping is not worth giving up my only break of the day!

Melinda May said...

This was HILARIOUS! Thanks for the smiles!