Sunday, February 22, 2009

IT'S A NEW DAWN...

It's a new day, it's a new life. For me...and I'm feelin' good! Oh, I'm just so thrilled and happy and tingly all over. I've got a huge smile on my face. My life changed for the better today. And I know that many of you are going to relate to what I'm most ecstatically celebrating about:

Claire's 1st day of nursery was today.

I was a bit worried about her adjusting to the change since she's the shier of my two kids. Hudson? I could hand him off to anyone. Leave him with a new sitter. Introduce him to some weirdy with bad skin, hobo clothes, and a rat's nest for hair. It was all good. He'd hug, kiss, snuggle, and talk with anyone who was up for it. But not Claire. Until she was close to a year old, she had serious social anxiety. Cried anytime my MIL was around. Fussed if I tried to put her down when a stranger was in the room. Sobbed and sobbed if someone gave her a nice, friendly "hello" at the grocery store. Cries when we leave her with a babysitter. Now that she's a bit older, she doesn't freak out as much as she used to. But she still isn't exactly what one would call a shoe-in for nursery.

So I walked into nursery today, very much planning on staying put for a good while. I sat down in a chair and held Claire on my lap. We'd been there all of about oh, two minutes, when she slid down off my lap and made a bee-line for one of those chiming roller things (you know what I'm talking about). She looked at me a time or two but just kept playing. She even interacted with a couple of the other toddlers and one of the other adults in the room without batting an eye (or hitting any of the kids). I quietly got up and slipped out the door. I hung around for a while, peering in the one-way window in one of the doors. She was happily playing with different toys, sharing them with the other kids, taking things across the room to show them to one of the nursery workers. Honestly, I don't think she noticed or cared that I was gone. I couldn't believe it. And I couldn't be happier.

Let the confetti and balloons fall. Cue the Hallelujah chorus. Set off the fireworks. Bring out a plate of celebratory chocolate...or Princess Cake...or both.

My baby loves nursery.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so glad she did well. Sundays are so pleasant once they are in nursery! Here's to hoping she keeps on loving it.

Vanderlinden Clan said...

what a relief! hope it lasts and you can actually start getting something out of church again. :)

Natalie said...

THAT is a wonderful day when you have your lap and your peace back again during church, at least for 1/2 of it anyway! Congrats! So nice that she went happily.