Wednesday, February 25, 2009

LET SLEEPING KIDS LIE

Around 11:00 this morning Claire decided she'd had enough of the day already. Lots of fussing and crying. And a bit of whining and a few sourpuss faces to go along. So I took her to her room, laid her in the crib, and walked out. Silence. Three minutes later I hear talking/jabbering. I go back into her room and peek over the side of the crib to see her playing with her toes and smiling. Okaaaaay...so maybe we just needed a second alone. Or not. The minute I stand her on the floor, she starts crying again. So I sit in the rocking chair and hold her for a whopping 30 seconds before she decides that she wants to get down and play. And then cry again for no reason.

At this point it's about 11:15 or 11:20 and looking at my watch, I realized that I'd be having to go to get Huds from school in about 35 minutes. And I am NOT waking Claire up to do so. She's just going to have to be cranky and ticked off until we get back later.

So I gave her a 1/2 slice of homemade bread from a neighbor (SUPER good...mmmmmm) and head downstairs to check my e-mail and the likes thereof. You get one guess as to what happened as soon as that 1/2 piece of bread was gone. Yes. The tears, whining, fussing, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth started all over again. MY WORD!

With expert patience and ignorance on my part, the minutes were counting down until it would be time to go. I thought we were actually going to make it. Then I acidentally nailed her in the forehead with my elbow. Oops. Bad mommy. After I picked her up, she laid her head on my shoulder and started working on that magical thumb of hers. A few seconds later...quiet. And nothing since except for the occassional whimper or the sound of her sucking her thumb.

The entire time that I've been typing this post Claire has been out cold on my shoulder. Guess I'll let her take a quick nap after all and hold her all the while. Good mommy....until I wake her up to put her in the car seat in a minute. Then I'll be a bad mommy all over again.

2 comments:

Sher said...

Ha ha! You totally just knocked her out!
Thanks for reminding me why I'm not doing the baby thing again. 3 year old tantrums are about all I can handle.

Natalie said...

I hate it when they fall asleep and you know it's gonna mess up their sleeping schdule for the whole day. That said, I have done lotsa typing with sleeping kid in other arm. hehe.