Tuesday, February 3, 2009

LIST # 2: AMAZING

Now I give you my second list. Seemingly bragging and self-promotiong? Possibly. But it’s an interesting one to write, I tell you. In no particular order, here’s a list of some of the things that make me amazing, and that have made or currently make my life AMAZING.

  • I remember phone numbers like nobody’s business and I never forget a face.
  • Less than 18 months ago, I had a tumor crushing the nerves in my spine and could barely stand or walk by the time it was removed. Today I can walk, swim, run…do whatever I want. My only side effects from the tumor and the surgery to remove it are a small tender/numb spot on one leg and a bit of muscular pain in my back.
  • I’m a stay at home mom with 2 beautiful children (ordinary and amazing…wouldn’t trade it for the world).
  • I made it through my teenage years and came out of them as a well-rounded young adult.
  • I haven’t had to work a day since my 1st was born.
  • My husband started his own business 9.5 years ago and even with the ups and downs of the real estate world, his work has supported our family…and thank the heavens above, the doors are have remained open.
  • I have the most loving, supportive, generous, and thoughtful parents in the world.
  • My siblings rock. I have a sister and 3 brothers – all of whom I consider to be my closest friends and aside from arguments in our younger years (i.e. childhood and teenage years), none of us has ever had a big fight, tiff, or problem with any of the others.
  • I went through 10 hours of labor and nearly 2 hours of pushing only to have a C-section on my 1st. Then, with a C-section scheduled for my 2nd, I went into labor a few weeks early and went through just over 5 hours of labor and only a few minutes of pushing…no C-section needed.
  • I have wonderful friends with wonderful attributes: thoughtful, empathetic, funny, good at listening, understanding, kind, and uplifting (to name a few).
  • Even though I’m a “bad friend” who doesn’t call for months, doesn’t see them for longer, and forgets their birthdays, my friends still love me because many of them are “bad friends” too. And we love each other for it.
  • I’m an animal lover and have had many pets (not all just mine – some were or are family pets): 9 dogs, a snake, 3 rabbits (Mork lived at my Grandpa & Grandma’s), numerous fish, 7 birds, and 2 cats. That’s a whole lot of “stuff” to clean up!
  • All of my INCREDIBLE doctors for my NFII were recommended by physicians I trusted and all of them are covered under our insurance.
  • I knew all four of my grandparents.
  • I can make a mouth-watering homemade chocolate mousse from scratch (thanks, Dad), a killer loaf of homemade bread (thanks, Mom), and an awesome Italian chopped salad (thanks, Carol [my mother-in-law]).
  • I’m willing to try anything (almost) once…you never know what you’re going to like to eat or to do until you’ve given it a shot.
  • My husband and children love me and accept me for who I am in spite of my bad habits, some of the things I do, and the many mistakes I make.
  • I have been cut open and put back together more than I would have liked. In the process, I’ve had countless stitches, 60-something staples, a hole in my skull, and titanium plates and screws to put me back together. And aside from a couple of scars, I don’t look like any of it happened.
  • I’ve been blessed with a built in optimistic attitude and view on life.
  • I’m walking around with a tumor in my neck and one in my right inner ear/brain with no side effects from either.

I’m surprised and happy to say that I found my “amazing” list much easier to come up with than my “ordinary” list. My 1st list was longer but this one was quicker to write. I could add a few things to it but then I’d really feel like I was bragging. So I won’t. The final list will follow soon…

3 comments:

Natalie said...

YOU are incredibly amazing! And blessed, it seems. Here's hoping and praying your life will continue to be so.

Erin said...

The tumors thing still baffles me. I really do look up to you for your optimistic attitude, that definitely makes you amazing!

Sher said...

I am definitely one of those "bad friends"
I'm glad we understand each other!