Friday, November 13, 2009

I'M THANKFUL FOR... PART III

Over the past week, I found that it was impossible to sit here and think of things I'm grateful for without the names of various vittles going through my mind. I have to say that my "one word" list was especially hard in this regard. But this time around, I'm going to let my love for food show (as if my thighs aren't proof enough). And in the end, I'll probably be embarrassed. Because chances are, this list is going to be the longest.

I'M THANKFUL FOR...
(PART III)
  • Chocolate...milk or dark. Don't care which it is. I'll even take white. Just give me some.
  • Marzipan.
  • My mom's applesauce whole wheat bread and whole wheat raisin bread. I would gladly eat a slice of either (or both) every day for the rest of my life.
  • Artichokes.
  • Steamed or cooked carrots. And it doesn't hurt if they're bathed in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, and fresh ground black pepper.
  • Seafood. Too general? How's this:
  • - calamari
  • - salmon
  • - shrimp
  • - mussels
  • - Ahi tuna
  • - halibut
  • - scallops
  • - crab
  • - mahi mahi/dorado
  • - ono
  • - swordfish
  • - clams
  • - prawns
  • - onaga/red snapper
  • Princess Cake from Gayle's Bakery in Capitola. Marzipan, raspberry filling, fresh whipped heavy ream, and white cake. I just might have mentioned this treat and its glorious goodness in a previous post or two. Just might.
  • Gayle's garlic bread.
  • Lamb with apple mint jelly. My favorites are lamb chops and grilled boneless leg of lamb.
  • Cardamom bread.
  • A home-grilled burger "my way": with Mom B's marinated red onions, fresh avocado, sharp cheddar, lettuce, Clausen kosher dill pickle slices, ketchup, and mayo. It's a bit too tall to eat in a dignified manner but so yummy!
  • A good lasagna or spaghetti.
  • Frosted pumpkin cookies (either my homemade ones or Harvest Moons from Icing on the Cake).
  • My dad's made-from-scratch chocolate mousse.
  • Bratwurst with sauerkraut.
  • One word: BUTTER.
  • Home canned fruit - especially peaches, cherries, and apricots.
  • Chocolate Showers ice cream from Loard's.
  • Lettuce for a salad...iceberg, Romaine, butter, red leaf, bibb, field greens, etc. You name it - I probably like it.
  • Roasted turkey with cranberry sauce.
  • Cheese. Lots of cheese. Sharp cheddar, blue cheese, fresh mozzarella, brie, Gorgonzola, fresh Parmesan (the powdered stuff is a culinary sin!), goat cheese, port salut... Cheese is one of those things that makes the world go 'round.
  • Brophy Brothers clam chowder. If you're ever in Santa Barbara, it's an absolute MUST!
  • Asparagus.
  • Breakfast foods. I love thin pancakes, French toast, crepes, waffles, etc.
  • Peiking duck complete with plum sauce, green onions, and those slightly sweet "pancakes".
  • A good pastry. This statement envelopes approximately 12,294 individual items. Figured I spare you that list.
  • Fresh fruit - melons, peaches, berries, apples, citrus, pineapple, and so on and so forth.
  • Perfectly cooked or grilled steak (aka medium rare or medium).
  • Potatoes...preferably baked or mashed.
  • Anything from Normandie Cafe & Bakery in Holladay.
  • My in-laws recipe for ham. There's no exact science to it but man, it is tays-tee!
  • Chicken Supremes. Huh? It's a most fabulous french dish that we kids made my mom make on our birthdays almost every year. Why is it so great? Four words: lemon parsley butter sauce.
  • Homemade lemon bars.
  • Reduced fat peanut butter (Skippy or Jif).
  • Celery or Fuji apples with said peanut butter.
  • Leila Randall's Pumpkin Pie Squares. It's a recipe we had in my family when I was growing up (Leila was an older lady in our stake/church back home) and it's a favorite 'round here, too. Max is the world's #1 pumpkin pie fan and he likes this...better! Recipe will follow soon.
  • Root beer. No better drink to match with pizza or a home-grilled burger.
  • Real sourdough bread.
  • Apricot filled shortbread. Such buttery awesomeness should be illegal!
  • Homemade caramels.

Honestly, the list could very easily go on. But I'll let you get back to your life and spare myself from wanting to run upstairs and make everything on the list (or hop in the car or on a plane and go buy it).

P.S. Annie...am I forgetting anything? ;)

4 comments:

The Hodgmans David, Kara, Lexy, Lena and Luke said...

thanks now I am starving!

Erin said...

So much good food, so little time. Reading this made me super hungry! I'll eat a harvest moon for you from Icing on the Cake, and something from Gayle's while we're there for Christmas.

Anne said...

That just about covers it. I was going to say "fruit tarts" but they were covered under Pastries and Normandie Cafe & Bakery. I would have to add pecan pie and a few other things, but this is your list! (What about Nielsen's frozen custard?? And Tepanyaki noodles?)

katie j said...

i laughed the whole time reading your list - it brought me such joy :) it's true - food is one of the best parts of life! and i can't tell you how convenient it is to be prego through the hoildays:) ahhh... to eat and eat guilt free!
i laughed at the reduced fat pb - it's totally my fav too!! and you're my most fav. love you cous!!
xoxo i'm THANKFUL for YOU!!