I shall now share with you one of my most prized possessions: the recipe for Pumpkin Pie Squares. It's not really mine, per say, but it's one of my favorite things to make (and eat)...the one that I mentioned in my 3rd Thankful List earlier this month. As stated in said list, I think this is even better than good old fashioned regular pumpkin pie and my pumpkin-pie-loving husband feels the same way. It'll be gracing our dessert table this Thursday...
LEILA RANDALL'S PUMPKIN PIE SQUARES
1 package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened (1 cube)
4 eggs
1 large can plain pumpkin
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. each:
- allspice
- cloves
- ginger
- cinnamon
- nutmeg
- salt
1 cup brown sugar, divided into two 1/2 cup portions
Put dry cake mix in a bowl and cut in margarine or butter with 2 knives until pea-sized. Take out 1 cup of mix and set aside for topping. To remaining mix in bowl, add 1 egg. Stir until a pasty mixture. Press into a metal 9x13 pant. Bake at 350 until puffy (about 10 minutes).
In a separate bowl, beat pumpkin, 3 eggs, and spices until frothy. Add milk and 1/2 cup brown sugar and mix well. Pour over cooked cake layer.
Into reserved topping, cut or stir in remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over pumpkin layer. If desired, add chopped nuts (walnuts are great). Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350 or until knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Once cooled, refrigerate until chilled through. Serve with freshly whipped cream or Cool Whip (for you weirdies out there).
NOTES:
- I've made this both with butter and margarine. Even though they may not taste all that different, it is my very firm belief that butter is better.
- If you're having a hard time spreading the crust mixture into the pan, grease your hands with a bit of Crisco or spray a rubber spatula with Pam to make the job a little easier.
- I'm always surprised at how many people have never whipped their own cream. For great results, here's how you do it: pour heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl and beat on high speed until desired consistency is reached (I like it SUPER thick but that's just me and my amazing palate). Add powdered/confectioner's sugar by the tablespoonful - mixing well after each addition - until desired level of sweetness is reached.
- This glorious goodness really is best when it's served cold and can be made a day ahead.
- And yes, the metal pan really does make a difference.
Hope you all enjoy this one. If you decide to whip it up one of these days, I'd love to hear what you think! Oh - and by the way, her name is pronounced Lee-eye-luh.
1 comment:
Ohhhh, I love this recipe! Thanks for the tips at the bottom, I so love that about your recipes. Totally making this next weekend once we get settled in. Just drove into NC today!
Post a Comment