We had a very nice Thanksgiving here at our house this year. My parental units came in town for the holiday (and our niece's baby blessing on Sunday) and stayed here in our basement "hotel". They arrived Wednesday afternoon and after dinner that evening, we went to work preparing a few things for Thursday. The morning of Thanksgiving brought a bit more prep (just homemade stuffing and the bird) and a few other odds and ends were tied up just before dinner. Some time prior to the actual meal, we set out some "munchies" for everyone to graze on:
As for the big bang, our Thanksgiving menu this year consisted of the old classics from my side of the family:
turkey (huh?!)
my Grandpa's homemade stuffing
homemade gravy
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes/yams
peas
homemade rolls
homemade raspberry honey butter
Jell-O (two kinds)
mixture of grape juice & ginger ale to drink
homemade pecan pies
freshly-whipped heavy cream
It is a lot of food but that's what a real Thanksgiving meal is all about, right?! Plus, between getting a good portion of it done the night before and having my brother's family and aunt help with a couple of things, it really wasn't all that difficult. And, of course, it was a huge help to me to have my parents here...my mom made the pies and one of the Jell-O salads and watched the squares in the oven while I put my kids to bed and the morning of, my dad finished up the stuffing that I started and did the bulk of the working in cleaning out the turkey and stuffing it and then happily sewed it up. I couldn't have asked for better help!
I just have to mention that in between the prep in the morning and the final work before dinner in the afternoon, my dad, Max, and Hudson all headed out on a manly excursion. They drove up the hill from our place and went on a "little hike". It was a long 7.5 mile round-trip in the snow, complete with losing the trail at one point and having to climb up a steep hillside. When they returned, I was surprised (and happy) to hear that in spite of the cold temps and his wet clothes, Hudson was totally thrilled to go on the hike and had a grand time. Unfortunately, he was too tired to make the entire trek on his own and was carried a few of those miles (Max carried him for 2 stints and my dad for 1). Hooray for all three of my troupers!
It was so nice to spend the day with my husband, chidren, and parents, to have my aunt and one of my brothers and his family join us for dinner, and then have my little brother and his family join us for dessert that evening. I love spending time with loved ones during the holidays and I'm truly blessed and thankful beyond measure for my incredible family.
P.S. This almost never happens so I just have to say: I typed this entire post without one misspelling...woo-whooo!
No comments:
Post a Comment