Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympics: Our Addiction & Hudson's Goals

We have a slight problem here, people. We are seriously addicted to the Olympics (aka "'Lympics" as the peeps around here called them back in '02). Each night after the kids go to bed, we watch the primetime stuff that we TiVo'd the night before. We plop down in our comfy chair and couch and spend the night watching Bob Costas' commentary, Mary Carillo go on her little adventures, and - of course - the athletes doing their thing. This is all fine and dandy until you factor in our staying up until midnight or 1:00 doing this every night. It's catching up to me. Some days I'm sluggish all day. Others I'm snippy. Today it's a headache. This has got to stop. I'm giving it another week and a half or so and then I'm quitting for a good 2 years.

We watched the women's downhill final last night. Holy cow...could I have cringed any more than I did watching a few of them crash? I think not. Max and I both remarked a number of times that we can't believe that these athletes do these things in spite of crash after crash and one injury or surgery after another.

Our observing athletes in their worst moments isn't helping Hudson's newly stated goals of becoming a winter Olympian. During the late afternoon and earlier evening hours, he's been joining us in our addiction. Loves every minute of it. While watching various competitions, he has said that he thinks he'd like to be a __________ someday (insert type of winter sportsman of choice). He's talked about being a cross-country skier, a downhill skier, a luger, a speed skater, and a figure skater. When talking about doing luge, he said, "I could be good at that. But if I did that, I think I would pee my pants." I'm not too keen on his taking up anything even semi-hazardous. Super G or downhill? No way. His best bet for getting maternal support would probably be one of the two the skating options with speed skating in first place (not too keen on the feathery/glittery unitards). And speaking of that...

Yesterday afternoon, we were catching up on some of the men's figure skating. When Johnny Weir came out on the ice in his lovely black and fuchsia number, Hudson's immediate response was, "EW!" Amen, little man. He said the same thing another time or two during the routine and didn't say anything again until it was Evan Lyascek's turn. When he took to the rink, Hudson looked at his solid black ensemble and slick hair and said, "He looks pretty cool." I commented that he looked a lot better than Weir and Hudson agreed stating, "He was wearing PINK. And he looked like a girl." Once again, my boy said what the rest of us were thinking. Maybe speed skating is more his thing.

Now we'll just have to wait a couple of years and see what summer Olympic sports he aspires to participate in. Basketball? Swimming? Volleyball? Track or Field? Just about any summer sport with sit much better with this mommy than the majority of the winter sports.

P.S. Whenever I type "Weir", my fingers automatically add a "d" on the end. Sorry, Johnny, these fingers don't lie.

5 comments:

Erin said...

We too love the Lympics! And likewise, I have to type and even say Johnny Weird. The pink tassel did it for me the other night. Still, GO USA!

The 'word verification' just now is nonabs. That is what I'm going to have after eating that cheesecake after lunch today.

The King Family said...

We have the same addiction problem here- and you should have heard me & Dre on the women's downhill. I think I am sore just from watching them crash!

VK said...

I too have had a headache the entire day.
BTW Michael says Weird's fingernails are another Gross thing about him. We'll have to check that out.
My vote for Hudson is giant slalom.
You go Boy!

Michelle said...

Love the Olympics!! Nate pretends to be in a different event everyday and both boys talk about snowboarding and speed skating all the time!

Get Huds into swimming, then he can move on to WATER POLO!!

Natalie said...

LOL WeirD! That is awesome!

I love Hudson. He says what we're all thinking.

We have the same addiction going on here! Last night Sydney said she wants to be a Bobsledder. LOL