Wednesday, January 14, 2009

MY LAUNDRY LIST

Just after hauling 20 loads of wash into my laundry room the other morning (OK - not that many), I was remembering a definition that I once read for the word laundry:

"Clothes or linens that need to be washed. Articles of soiled clothing that seem to multiply uncontrollably when left in a hamper."

I was smiling to myself about this cute little snippet. I opened the washer to transfer the clothes to the dryer. I stopped smiling. On every single piece of clean, wet, DARK clothing were tiny little pieces of Kleenex/facial tissue. When I say tiny, I mean minuscule. The first thought that came to my mind was that a few were probably just the right size for a mouse to use. But for the most part, these lovely little embellishments on my clean clothes were roughly the size that a baby cricket would use to wipe his runny nose (do crickets have noses?). As I cursed myself for not checking all the pant pockets prior to putting them in the washer, I threw the clothes into the dryer, already looking forward to the joy of emptying out the lint catcher.

This whole tiny tissue experience got me thinking about another aspect of laundry: All the things that I do not like to find in the washer. Or even worse, in the dryer. And so, I give you a little "laundry list" of some of the things I have found in my dryer:

grass
chewing gum (stuck to the crotch of Sonny's swim trunks)
rocks
chap stick
hair/bobby pins (who are those from?)
acorns
a credit card
crayons
paper
cell phone
remnants of stickers (small pieces stuck to several items of clothing)
toy cars
pens
money (my personal fave...finders keepers)
sand

I'm sure that some of you have seen (or scraped off, or vacuumed out, or sworn about) much worse. I don't envy you. But I sure would love to hear what these things were so that I can feel better about the things that we've left in our pockets around here. Leave your "laundry list" in the comments section if you want. That way, everyone else who reads this can feel better, too.

Now, I folded the aforementioned clothes this morning. Most of them are now free of tissue thanks to my rockin' dryer. However, a few items - such as Sonny's navy blue sweatshirt - are still sprinkled with cute little pieces of Kleenex. Maybe it will come in handy...like when we hear that baby cricket sneeze.

4 comments:

Sher said...

HA HA! I have seen all of the above in my washer and/or dryer. I also found my lost camera in the dryer, after hearing it clink around in there. Fortunately, I was able to resurrected the pictures, but we had to put the poor camera to rest.

Anne said...

Almost all of the above have gone through my wahser, and of those, most succeeded in making it through the dryer cycle. I have to add: candy wrappers (these surface all the time), Legos, and wilted baby carrots. Mmmmm. My personal (un)favorite is Silly Putty, which completely stuck to the pocket it was in, seeped through, and ruined the sweatshirt which contained it. Needless to say, we have not purchased Silly Putty since.

Erin said...

The two most random are: chapstick and one of Tyler's wet diapers. AAAAAHHHHHH! I washed everything again because, well, that's gross.

Natalie said...

I had a bobby pin slip THROUGH one of the tiny holes in my washer and break it. Loud, screechy noise...$85 repair. WATCH OUT for those. Oh, and I find lots of rocks. Gunnar likes to "collect" them and leaves them in his pocket, more than not.