Sunday, January 25, 2009

NEW, COMPLETELY EDIBLE SNOW

As previously mentioned, we've had weeks of really horrible, nasty, thick, smoggy air. The weather changed this weekend. It made the dirty air pack its bags and sent it on its way out of town. Friday and Saturday we had rain. I don't know about the rest of you who live around here, but this morning we woke up to find it lightly snowing and by the time we got home from church, we had a few inches on the ground. And it keeps on piling up. Big, fluffy flakes of the white stuff. I wish it would stay off the sidewalks, the streets, and my driveway. But I like it anyway!

While I do like the snow, we have two individuals in this house who really LOVE love the snow.

First is Miles. He runs around like he's never been outside before, biting at it as he runs. Then he sticks his head down as deep as it can go and runs that way, eventually popping his head up with little piles of snow on top of his nose and head. He'll catch snowballs or run after a thrown snowball only to bite in the general vicinity of where it landed. Then he takes off running again.

Second is Hudson. He loves the snow even more than Miles does. He loves to get his snow gear on and tromp through the snow all over our yard. He takes his sled and slides down our little hill in the backyard until I force him inside to thaw out his little hide. He throws snow at Miles. He throws it at me. And while he may not have the arm for it, he throws it at anyone and anything within a 100 foot radius of where he stands. So watch out. At school he made up a game called "Snow Rangers". He and his little friends run around and save people in the snow. Lots of fun. But more than anything, Hudson likes to eat snow. Here's a picture of him chowing on it last winter:



We've had to teach him about brown snow, grey snow, black snow, and yellow snow. The other day I had to explain to him that even though some of it was still white, he wasn't allowed it eat it as it had been sitting there too long. He was disappointed. But tomorrow will be a very un-disappointing day. It will be a very welcome, awesome, unbeatable, and incredible day for my boy. While bundled up for recess at school, he'll go out and eat snow to his heart's content (perhaps that's what Snow Rangers survive on?). He'll grab one last fist-full to shove into his mouth on his way back into the classroom. And then, after school and after he's eaten a good lunch, I'll send him out into the backyard to sled, throw snow, and eat the white stuff until his mouth goes numb.

Ah, the beauty of new, completely edible snow.

2 comments:

Erin said...

The problem with snow is, Tyler doesn't care how old/dirty it is...all snow is edible to him. Cute picture of Hudson! I'm way excited to see you guys this week.

Natalie said...

Gunnar is a snow ranger too! And you're exactly right, fresh snow is the #1 diet requirement for rangers. :) I'm so glad that all the barfy air is gone, but I could've done without the 90 minutes of "exercise" in the driveway this morning and I cleared 8 inches of heavy wet snow!