Monday, March 9, 2009

"FUN" IN L.A.

At the time that I have this scheduled to post (9:00 a.m. MST/8:00 a.m. PST), I am going to be going into my appointment at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles. It's a super special practice of ENT's and hearing specialists, two of whom I will be seeing. Why am I going there when I have a super-fab ENT here at home? I am stone deaf in my left ear as a result of the brain/inner ear surgery I had last March and in order to know for sure whether or not my cochlear nerve is still intact, I have to have a Promontory Stimulation Test done. Only a few places in the country even do this test...House Ear being one of them.

This is a most lovely test. They stick a needle through my ear drum and then using a special probe, they send sound directly into the promontory. If I can hear the tones, it means that my cochlear nerve is still intact. If this is the case, I can get a cochlear implant. If not, getting the implant would do nothing for me.

So, at House Ear, a hearing specialist/doctor will do the Promontory Stimulation Test prior to my seeing the ENT. I'm hoping, praying, crossing my fingers, and wishing beyond all reason that my cochlear nerve is indeed intact. It's a big deal to me. If it is, then I'll get a cochlear implant and I won't have to worry about going deaf in my right ear when I have the tumor and vestibular nerve on that side removed (50/50 chance of hearing loss with the surgery...my results obviously haven't been so awesome thus far).

You can bet I'll be posting the results as soon as I have access to the internet after the appointment...

2 comments:

Erin said...

Here's to hoping! I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Natalie said...

I'm hoping and praying you can get the implant! Yeah, a needle is the ear is TOTALLY my idea of a good time! I really hope you aren't aware for that part. Hugs!